[net.music] CD capacity

boyajian@akov68.DEC (JERRY BOYAJIAN) (10/04/85)

> From:	tellab1!barth	(Barth Richards)

> There is no reason (as far as I know) why a full double album can't be put
> on a single CD. My understanding is that the full capacity of a CD (one sided)
> is 4 or 5 hours. That's considering, of course, that it is used to absolute
> full capacity. So the POLAND album on CD is probably complete, even though it
> is only a on a single disc.

Nope. CD capacity is in the neighborhood of 75 minutes. Which is still more
than enough for some double albums. Pat Metheny's 80/81 goes over the 75
minute limit and as a consequence, they left off two tunes (actually, they
only needed to leave off one tune to get under the limit, but that's life).
Why they didn't issue it on a double-disk is beyond me.
	Now my SL-2700 Beta Hi-Fi VCR can hold up to 5 hours of music with
top quality sound. Matter of fact, on one L-750 (4-1/2 hour at Beta-III) tape,
I recorded a friend's 2 disks of the Brandenbergs (finally! I can listen to
all 6 *in order* without having to keep changing records!) plus a 3-disk set
of Bach piano and harpsicord music.

--- jayembee (Jerry Boyajian, DEC, Acton-Nagog, MA)

UUCP:	{decvax|ihnp4|allegra|ucbvax|...}!decwrl!dec-rhea!dec-akov68!boyajian
ARPA:	boyajian%akov68.DEC@DECWRL.ARPA