[news.misc] internet

mju@mudos.ann-arbor.mi.us (Marc Unangst) (10/20/90)

mlyons@pro-truckstop.cts.com (Handles, SysOp) writes:
> then they put in a new computer, and a change of staff.  With that I
> was told in a harsh way, NO!.

That's their right; they don't owe you a newsfeed in any way, shape,
or form.

> a small system for free. I thought the internet was free.

Nope.  Authorized educational, research, and government installation
are permitted to use NSFnet, which is most of what you think of as the
"Internet".  All the other subnets, like Merit, NYSERnet, JVNCnet, and
so forth, have their own rules and regulations for use.  It isn't
"free", even though it might look that way.

If you really mean Usenet, that isn't necessarily free, either.  Each
individual site is free to charge or not charge for newsfeeds.
They're also free to decide which newsgroups they will receive, which
ones they won't, and which ones they'll pass along.  UUNET is only
required to give you a feed if you're a customer.

> So as a show of support for my cause, call USF TECH support, voice xxx/xxx
> -xxxx or fax xxx/xxx-xxxx or thu this group, E-mail xxxxx@xxx.xxx.xxx .

Please don't.  I'm sure that USF has enough to do without dealing with
calls from irate users about something they likely have no control
over.

> Bitter; Any Comments?

Yeah.  If you want a newsfeed so badly, talk to UUNET Communications,
info@uunet.uu.net.  Oh, you want one for free?  Well, then realize
that nobody has to give one to you, and YOU'RE the one who should be
grateful for the feed -- if you act obnoxious, everybody else is going
to tell you to go somewhere else.

Find someone else, or talk to UUNET.  But don't come whining to us;
especially not in comp.sys.ibm.pc.misc, where it obviously doesn't
belong.  (Followups to news.misc, please.)

--
Marc Unangst               |
mju@mudos.ann-arbor.mi.us  | "Bus error: passengers dumped"