[news.misc] Caller ID: Is comp.dcom.telecom biased?

jet@karazm.math.uh.edu ("J. Eric Townsend") (01/30/91)

xposted to news.misc for lack of news.politics

In article <15377@milton.u.washington.edu> cyberoid@milton.u.washington.edu (Robert Jacobson) writes:
>[regards to Townson's running of comp.dcom.telecom.]
>Is this person biased, or what?

Yes, he certainly is.  Luckily, it's to the point where it's painfully
obvious that he's strongly biased.  Moderating a newsgroup is a bully
pulpit, for sure.

>... I'm alarmed, because this newsgroup, comp.dcom.telecom,
>wields a lot of informational power.  But what to do about this?

0. People could ask Townson to not put snide comments in articles
he disagrees with.

Failing that,
1. comp.dcom.telecom could be kicked into unmoderated mode.

2. A new moderator could be found, but Townson knows a lot about this
stuff, so it might not be easy to find someone as skilled.  Given
ignorance or opinions, I'd prefer the former.  The only real job
of a moderator is to keep the subject on the topic, correct?

--
J. Eric Townsend - jet@uh.edu - bitnet: jet@UHOU - vox: (713) 749-2120
"It is the cunning of form to veil itself continually in the evidence

milton@en.ecn.purdue.edu (Milton D Miller) (01/30/91)

In article <1991Jan30.000852.10527@lavaca.uh.edu> jet@karazm.math.uh.edu ("J. Eric Townsend") writes:

>xposted to news.misc for lack of news.politics
>
>In article <15377@milton.u.washington.edu> cyberoid@milton.u.washington.edu (Robert Jacobson) writes:
>>[regards to Townson's running of comp.dcom.telecom.]
>>Is this person biased, or what?
>
>Yes, he certainly is.  Luckily, it's to the point where it's painfully
>obvious that he's strongly biased.  Moderating a newsgroup is a bully
>pulpit, for sure.
>
>>... I'm alarmed, because this newsgroup, comp.dcom.telecom,
>>wields a lot of informational power.  But what to do about this?
>
>0. People could ask Townson to not put snide comments in articles
>he disagrees with.
>
>Failing that,
>1. comp.dcom.telecom could be kicked into unmoderated mode.
>
>2. A new moderator could be found, but Townson knows a lot about this
>stuff, so it might not be easy to find someone as skilled.  Given
>ignorance or opinions, I'd prefer the former.  The only real job
>of a moderator is to keep the subject on the topic, correct?
>
>--
>J. Eric Townsend - jet@uh.edu - bitnet: jet@UHOU - vox: (713) 749-2120
>"It is the cunning of form to veil itself continually in the evidence
>of content.  It is the cunning of the code to veil itself and to produce
>itself in the obviousness of value." -- Baudrillard

3. Use alt.dcom.telecom  (created within the last two weeks or so).

milton

jbuck@galileo.berkeley.edu (Joe Buck) (01/30/91)

In article <1991Jan30.000852.10527@lavaca.uh.edu>, jet@karazm.math.uh.edu ("J. Eric Townsend") writes:
> 2. A new moderator could be found, but Townson knows a lot about this
> stuff, so it might not be easy to find someone as skilled.  Given
> ignorance or opinions, I'd prefer the former.  The only real job
> of a moderator is to keep the subject on the topic, correct?

That depends; on some moderated newsgroups, that's all the moderator does;
on others, the moderator's personality is strongly reflected throughout
(comp.risks, for example).  There's no rule about it.  Many of the groups
with dominant moderators evolved out of mailing lists, and when people
signed up for the mailing list, that's how it was (risks and telecom
both fit into this category); there's no reason to expect every moderated
group to be moderated the same way.

As for me, I'd choose opinions over ignorance any day of the week, even
though I often disagree with Townson.  I would prefer it if moderators
would restrain themselves from commenting on every little thing, though.
It's annoying.  It could be worse: he could insert bad puns after every
article like Peter Neumann does in comp.risks!

--
Joe Buck
jbuck@galileo.berkeley.edu	 {uunet,ucbvax}!galileo.berkeley.edu!jbuck

In article <1991Jan30.000852.10527@lavaca.uh.edu> jet@karazm.math.uh.edu ("J. Eric Townsend") writes:
> Yes, he certainly is.  Luckily, it's to the point where it's painfully
> obvious that he's strongly biased.

> >But what to do about this?

>0., 1., 2.

3. Since his bias is honest and open, simply keep it in mind and put up
   with it.  There is an alt.dcom.telecom for equal time for the folks
   who really really want it.

   Personally, I have less problem with Pat than some other moderators
   who seem awfully quick to reject articles on the grounds that they
   perceieve them to be largely repeating other messages that they
   have recieved (but not yet posted) on the subject.

4. Comp.dcom.telecom could be removed, and the TELECOM digest could
   remain purely as a mailing list.
--
Peter da Silva.  `-_-'  peter@ferranti.com

hwt@bwdlh490.BNR.CA (Henry Troup) (01/31/91)

discussing it!  Why, if we was any more biased, he'd have created an
unmoderated group for discussing Caller Id!

Caller Id postings are still accepted in comp.dcom.telecom - provided they
are on technical matters.  Discussions/flame wars on the pros and cons are
referred to the mailing list.

Now grow up, eh!

Henry Troup - BNR owns but does not share my opinions | The .signature is the
P.O. Box 3511, Stn. C. Ottawa, Ontario, Canada K1Y 4H7| lowest form of humour
uunet!bnrgate!hwt%bwdlh490 HWT@BNR.CA +1 613-765-2337 |

jet@karazm.math.uh.edu ("J. Eric Townsend") (01/31/91)

In article <10590@pasteur.Berkeley.EDU> jbuck@galileo.berkeley.edu (Joe Buck) writes:
>As for me, I'd choose opinions over ignorance any day of the week, even
>though I often disagree with Townson.  I would prefer it if moderators

I was thinking of sci.virtual-worlds, where the moderator is pretty hands
off, but occasionally reminds us that we're straying off the topic.

--
J. Eric Townsend - jet@uh.edu - bitnet: jet@UHOU - vox: (713) 749-2120
"It is the cunning of form to veil itself continually in the evidence
of content.  It is the cunning of the code to veil itself and to produce
itself in the obviousness of value." -- Baudrillard

syd@DSI.COM (Syd Weinstein) (01/31/91)

Let's not forget that comp.dcom.telecom is not a USENET news group
per se, its just a convienent way for USENET readers to receive
the mailing list TELECOM DIGEST.  Pat is not bound by USENET
conventions at all, he is just being kind enough to run the
gateway between the mailing list and network news himself.  (He
didn't use to run it himself, but...)

Can a mailing list moderator be biased.  Sure, and if the people
don't like his bias, they leave the list and form another.
Datacomp Systems, Inc.                          Voice: (215) 947-9900
syd@DSI.COM or dsinc!syd                        FAX:   (215) 938-0235

louisg@vpnet.chi.il.us (Louis Giliberto) (02/02/91)

My personal viewpoint is that the moderator has a right, just as anyone else
to give his opinions.  Because he is moderator does not mean he is stripped of
his right of free speech.

What I do have a problem with is the moderator either 1) stifling messages
because he does not agree with them or 2) inserting his comments into the
original message.  This is tampering with other persons' rights.

However, if the moderator responds in the normal way, he is merely expressing
his opinion like everyone else.  His job is to moderate, not to be an
impartial judge.

To stifle messages or tamper with them in any way is to abuse one's power
and to violate a user's rights if the cause is to further one's own
opinion.

That's my $.02

Louis Giliberto
louisg@vpnet.chi.il.us

cyberoid@milton.u.washington.edu (Robert Jacobson) (02/03/91)

Pat and I have settled this offline, so I would appreciate it if the
conversation on this topic ended.  He has a right to run his conference
as he chooses.  I would not choose to run my conference like that, and
I will probably be using his conference less as a result of our respec-
tive different points of view.

I think it is just as fair for a participant to point out apparent bias
in a newsgroup, and seek a constructive response from other netliners,
as it is for a moderator to exercise his right to free speech.  Now that
all the points have been covered, maybe it's time to press on with more
substantive issues.  Thanks for posting your feelings.

Bob Jacobson
(Moderator, sci.virtual-worlds)