[news.misc] ``Skipping unavailable articles ...''

sean@utoday.com (Sean Fulton) (03/05/91)

This may be part of a larger problem, but I seem to have corrected
(with help) most of the others, and this is the final sticking point.
We're using trn with CNEWS, are experiencing problems with the way trn
figures out what needs to be shown to the user.

In short, if our active file is not 100 percent up to date (ie, the
high field and low field in total agreement with what's in SPOOLDIR),
the trn skips past articles that should be read.

A sample situation has an active file entry:

groupname 002394 002294 y

The actual articles in groupname range from 2300 to 2394.

A user loads up trn (with the threads option off, BTW), and a .newsrc
file of something like:

groupname:1-2100 (OK, so he/she/it hasn't read news for a while).

The user will see the skipping message, then ``End of newsgroup''.

Why? Better still, how do I correct this?
--
Sean Fulton					sean@utoday.com
UNIX Today!					(516) 562-5430

In article <1991Mar04.192644.2267@utoday.com> sean@utoday.com (Sean Fulton) writes:
>In short, if our active file is not 100 percent up to date (ie, the
>high field and low field in total agreement with what's in SPOOLDIR),
>the trn skips past articles that should be read.

This is definitely a trn problem of some kind.  Although C News is
less enthusiastic about updating the low field than B News was, that
field can be out of date for other reasons, e.g. cancellations.
--
"But this *is* the simplified version   | Henry Spencer @ U of Toronto Zoology
for the general public."     -S. Harris |  henry@zoo.toronto.edu  utzoo!henry