[net.unix-wizards] plain 8-bit output

steve@dartvax.UUCP (Steve Campbell) (10/03/86)

Background:  4.[23] bsd, VT220 terminals, a database of foreign language
	text containing 8-bit characters (diacritical marks, European
	quotes, etc.)

The goal: to be able to output these 8-bit characters *without losing any
	standard Unix tty functions.*  RAW negates flow-control.  RAW and
	LITOUT change the handling of CR and/or LF.  4.3BSD has a new
	PASS8 tty(4) option, but it says it only applies to input (grrr).
	What I want is plain old cooked mode BUT with an 8-bit data path.

The question: how?  Must I hack the tty drivers and sys/tty*?  Ugh.
--
Steve Campbell               steve@Dartmouth.EDU                dartvax!steve

hurf@batcomputer.TN.CORNELL.EDU (Hurf Sheldon) (10/08/86)

In article <5218@dartvax.UUCP> steve@dartvax.UUCP (Steve Campbell) writes:
>The goal: to be able to output these 8-bit characters *without losing any
>	standard Unix tty functions.*  RAW negates flow-control.  RAW and
>	LITOUT change the handling of CR and/or LF.  4.3BSD has a new
>	PASS8 tty(4) option, but it says it only applies to input (grrr).
>	What I want is plain old cooked mode BUT with an 8-bit data path.
>
>The question: how?  Must I hack the tty drivers and sys/tty*?  Ugh.
 This may not be necessary...

   Having just gone through this - use cooked(-raw), LITOUT and use crmod to
   fix up the CR's. If you are using 'stty' to try different settings
   toggling the baud rate ensures the local mode bits get read.(At
   least on a uvaxII -Ultrix1.2)

     Hurf Sheldon			Arpa.css: hurf@ionvax.tn.cornell.edu
     Lab of Plasma Studies

     369 Upson Hall			phone: 607 255 7267