[news.software.notes] Features wanted in News/Notes

eric@snark.uu.net (Eric S. Raymond) (05/11/89)

In <5905@xyzzy.uucp> Alan Clegg wrote:
> The features wanted are:
>
> 		Thread support -- Being able to follow a thread BOTH backwards
> 				  and forwards from ANY point.

TMNN (aka 3.0) has this...

> 			       -- Begin able to save a complete thread into a
> 				  file from any point in the thread.
> 			       -- Being able to "FREEZE" a thread so that no
> 				  more notes can be posted to a certain topic.

But not these.

See my beta 7.6 release posting for how to get the sources.
--
      Eric S. Raymond = eric@snark.uu.net    (mad mastermind of TMN-Netnews)

clegg@dg-rtp.dg.com (Alan Clegg) (05/12/89)

Several people in our facility have expressed an interest in features that they
have seen in the Notes software as opposed to the current version of News.

Once before I asked about "notes" and I got back a lot of replies that were to
the effect of "notes is dead, use netnews" and up to this point, I have had no
problems with that.  BUT, I need the added functionality that exists in notes
and not in netnews.

The features wanted are:

		Thread support -- Being able to follow a thread BOTH backwards
				  and forwards from ANY point.
			       -- Begin able to save a complete thread into a
				  file from any point in the thread.
			       -- Being able to "FREEZE" a thread so that no
				  more notes can be posted to a certain topic.

Will these features be available in TMNEWS or news 3.0?  If so, where can I get
these packages?

If not, what is the latest version of NOTES, and where can I get it?

We are currently running news 2.11.17 with nntp, and if necessary, we may run
notes beside news if that is possible.

Thanks,
-abc

troyb@hpdml93.HP.COM (Troy Bergstrand) (05/13/89)

Assuming the use of rn as your usenet news reader:

> The features wanted are:
>
> 	Thread support -- Being able to follow a thread BOTH backwards
> 			  and forwards from ANY point.

use ^N,^P to move forward and backward through the same thread.

> 		       -- Begin able to save a complete thread into a
> 			  file from any point in the thread.

/pattern/modifiers:command{:command} is the command syntax so something like:
/SoftPC/:s softpc.file

This command finds all the articles with SoftPC in the subject and saves
them to the file softpc.file.

> 		       -- Being able to "FREEZE" a thread so that no
> 			  more notes can be posted to a certain topic.

use ^k which allows you to generate a kill file, which causes rn to skip
all articles of a given subject.  You would add a line to the kill file
for the subject you want to skip such as:
/SoftPC/j

This junks (marks as read) all articles pertaining to SoftPC.

Typing h gives you help in rn.  This will show the above and other commands.

caf@omen.UUCP (Chuck Forsberg WA7KGX) (05/15/89)

In article <9880001@hpdml93.HP.COM> troyb@hpdml93.HP.COM (Troy Bergstrand) writes:
:Assuming the use of rn as your usenet news reader:
:
:> The features wanted are:
:>
:> 	Thread support

To me, a most useful aspect of thread support is to list 69 articles
in 7 threads as 7 threads (7 lines), not 69 lines as today's rn does.

One might say rn is "half threaded".

Chuck Forsberg WA7KGX          ...!tektronix!reed!omen!caf
Author of YMODEM, ZMODEM, Professional-YAM, ZCOMM, and DSZ
  Omen Technology Inc    "The High Reliability Software"
17505-V NW Sauvie IS RD   Portland OR 97231   503-621-3406
TeleGodzilla:621-3746 FAX:621-3735 CIS:70007,2304 Genie:CAF

skrenta@eecs.nwu.edu (Richard Skrenta) (05/20/89)

I wrote a Notes-like newsreader that works with the standard netnews
software.  You can only read, you can't post, and it doesn't include nearly
as many features as real Notes does.  However, it works, and you can have
it for free if you want.

Rich Skrenta

skrenta@eecs.nwu.edu