[news.software.notes] What makes a note "junk"?

belkin@teecs.UUCP (Hershel Belkin) (09/05/89)

I have another notes question which has been bothering me:

We seem to be getting a lot of notes ending up in "junk", but I don't
know why!  If I look at the headers, they look OK.  Many are NOT
cross-posted, and if I look for the note, it DOES appear in its
header-line notesfile as well as "junk"!

Can someone explain under what circumstances a note ends up in "junk"?

(I'd hate to think of MY notes ending up there... :-)

jbayer@ispi.UUCP (Jonathan Bayer) (09/05/89)

belkin@teecs.UUCP (Hershel Belkin) writes:

>We seem to be getting a lot of notes ending up in "junk", but I don't
>know why!  If I look at the headers, they look OK.  Many are NOT
>cross-posted, and if I look for the note, it DOES appear in its
>header-line notesfile as well as "junk"!

>Can someone explain under what circumstances a note ends up in "junk"?

If the note (as you put it, I assume you are talking about news
articles) is posted to a non-existent newsgroup, it ends up in junk.
This will happen if you receive articles from another site that has
newsgroups which you don't have.

JB
--
Jonathan Bayer		Intelligent Software Products, Inc.
(201) 245-5922		500 Oakwood Ave.

jsadler@bcstec.UUCP (Jim Sadler) (09/06/89)

In article <410006@teecs.UUCP>, belkin@teecs.UUCP (Hershel Belkin) writes:
> I have another notes question which has been bothering me:
>
> We seem to be getting a lot of notes ending up in "junk", but I don't
> know why!  If I look at the headers, they look OK.  Many are NOT
.
.
.

> (I'd hate to think of MY notes ending up there... :-)

If memory serves me right "junk" notes are articles older than "Archive days"
which is set in the config file.  I believe the default is 14 days.  You
could change it to 20 days.  The disadvantage is that you would need more
storage for more notes and the older notes.

 jim sadler
 uunet!bcstec!jsadler or jsadler@bcstec.boeing.com (<-I think it works)

belkin@teecs.UUCP (Hershel Belkin) (09/07/89)

/ teecs:news.software.notes / jsadler@bcstec.UUCP (Jim Sadler)
/ 12:44 am  Sep  6, 1989 /

>If memory serves me right "junk" notes are articles older than "Archive days"
>which is set in the config file.  I believe the default is 14 days.  You
>could change it to 20 days.  The disadvantage is that you would need more
>storage for more notes and the older notes.

This is the best answer I've seen yet!  On checking, all the notes received
in "junk" are indeed >archive days when they arrive on our system.  Not
only does this make sense, but I like it!!  (Just wish I had it
documented somewhere :-? )

The other answer (that notes for non-existing notesfiles will end up
in junk) doesn't seem correct, since notes will automatically create
any newly-received newsgroup.

Thanks for the info!

--
| Hershel Belkin              hp9000/825 (HP-UX)|   ...!lsuc!teecs!belkin |