[net.unix-wizards] SysV on VAX 780

moline@trwrb.UUCP (10/08/86)

A friend is trying to bring up System V on a VAX 780. He doesn't
have a KMC11 or a DMC11 - he only has DZ11s. (Autoconfig barfs when
he trys to tell it to use a DZ11 for the tty drivers.)

Has anyone ever booted SysV on a 780 with a DZ11?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanking in advance

--

Daniel Molinelli
TRW Electronics & Defense Sector

jrw@hropus.UUCP (Jim Webb) (10/09/86)

> A friend is trying to bring up System V on a VAX 780. He doesn't
> have a KMC11 or a DMC11 - he only has DZ11s. (Autoconfig barfs when
> he trys to tell it to use a DZ11 for the tty drivers.)

Whose SV is he using?   I have currently brought ATT's SV up on over
30 vaxen (750,780,785,8600,8650) and have never seen "autoconfig" so
I don't know why it would barf, but I have had no problems using plain
dz11's when kmc's were scarce.

What error is this config program giving?  Are the vectors correct for
dz11's.  The must be named dz11's, not dzb's, if you do not have kmc assist.
--
Jim Webb             "Out of phase--get help"          ...!ihnp4!hropus!jrw

karl@cbrma.UUCP (Karl Kleinpaste) (10/09/86)

In article <1340@trwrb.UUCP> moline@trwrb.UUCP (Dan Molinelli) writes:
>A friend is trying to bring up System V on a VAX 780. He doesn't
>have a KMC11 or a DMC11 - he only has DZ11s. (Autoconfig barfs when
>he trys to tell it to use a DZ11 for the tty drivers.)
>
>Has anyone ever booted SysV on a 780 with a DZ11?

We run SysV.0 on both our 780s.  You need to make sure that your DZ11
has entries in /etc/master like this:

dz11	8	277	6	dz	8	0	1	8	5	tty
dzb	8	277	46	dzb	8	0	36	8	5	tty

And then, in our configuration, we have DZs specified in our
definitions file as

dzb	300	160100	5	8
dzb	310	160110	5	8
dzb	320	160120	5	8
dzb	330	160130	5	8
dz11	540	760200	5	8
dz11	550	760210	5	8
dzb	340	160140	5	8
dzb	350	160150	5	8

The above is simply by grep'ing for 'dz' in /etc/master and the defs
file on this system.
--
Karl Kleinpaste