[news.software.notes] Does the old NFS notes patch work?

dmose@bright.math.uoregon.edu (Dan Mosedale) (01/19/90)

I just grabbed a patch to notes posted here a _long_ time ago (mid-88).
It was posted by jthomp@convex.UUCP and (apparently) written by
kolstad@convex.UUCP.  I've tried mailing them, but convex doesn't seem
to know who they are any longer.

Anyhow, the purpose of the patch was to fix notes so that when two
people tried to write to the same note while mounted on different
NFS partitions: creat() does not blow the lockfiles.

What I'm curious about is this: the original patch said that it was
about 3:30 a.m. at the time of posting and that the poster hadn't
tested it.  I'd like to know that it actually does what it is supposed
to do before I apply it.

Any help would be appreciated.  If people desire it, I can repost
the patch (it's not long at all).

Thanks!

-dmose@math.uoregon.edu
-dmose@cs.uoregon.edu

jthomp@wintermute.Central.Sun.COM (Jim Thompson) (01/22/90)

In article <1990Jan18.220507.22706@cs.uoregon.edu> dmose@bright.math.uoregon.edu (Dan Mosedale) writes:
>I just grabbed a patch to notes posted here a _long_ time ago (mid-88).
>It was posted by jthomp@convex.UUCP and (apparently) written by
>kolstad@convex.UUCP.  I've tried mailing them, but convex doesn't seem
>to know who they are any longer.

Just to clear the confusion.

I'm now jthomp@Central.Sun.COM,  Rob (Kolstad) is kolstad@prisma.com.
I wrote the patch, not Rob.  It worked then, though Convex had
its reasons not to put in their 'released' version of notes.

Jim

Jim Thompson - Network Engineering - Sun Microsystems -	jthomp@central.sun.com
Charter Member - Fatalistic International Society for Hedonistic Youth (FISHY)
"Confusing yourself is a way to stay honest."	-Jenny Holzer