[news.admin] missing newgroups for many comp groups

mark@cbosgd.ATT.COM (Mark Horton) (11/14/86)

In article <3993@utah-cs.UUCP> donn@utah-cs.UUCP (Donn Seeley) writes:
>Poking through the junk directory this afternoon, I found nearly two
>dozen articles posted to new comp groups for which we never received a
>newgroup.  Is there some new policy against newgroups, or did our site
>just miss them through the vagaries of news and uucp?

No, you missed them.  The newgroups for comp and news went out about
the first of November.  You can expect rmgroups to go out in about a
week for the old (net) names of the soc, misc, sci, comp, and news
newsgroups, followed shortly by newgroups for the rec groups.  The
rmgroups for the old (net) names of the rec groups will go out
around Dec 15.  That will complete the first part of the reorganization,
and all "net" groups will be gone.

The second phase, involving moderated groups currently in mod.*, is
currently on hold, and we haven't decided exactly how to handle it.

	Mark Horton

mlandau@Diamond.BBN.COM (Matt Landau) (11/15/86)

In article <3065@cbosgd.ATT.COM> mark@cbosgd.ATT.COM (Mark Horton) writes:
>> [Someone found lots of comp. and news. articles in junk - wonders if
>>  he missed newgroup messages.  Hurm...]
>
>No, you missed them.  The newgroups for comp and news went out about
>the first of November.

Well, we (and a lot of other sites) seem to have missed them too.  I've
been watching the junk directory and creating the new groups by hand as
needed, but this is cumbersome.  Perhaps *one* of the backbone admins
should repost the newgroup messages before the rmgroups go out?

(Incidentally, I've just installed 2.11 about an hour ago, and make
update tells me all the comp groups are invalid - apparently, the 2.11
source for checking the active file doesn't know about the new groups,
either!)

magore@watdcsu.UUCP (M.A.Gore - ICR) (11/17/86)

	I think it would make life much easier if the names of valid group
names were put in a file just by themselves. The checkgroups shell script
(et all) could use the names in that file rather then having the data
'hard coded' all over the place...
	Comments???

# Mike Gore
# Institute for Computer Research. ( watmath!mgvax!root - at home )
# These ideas/concepts do not imply views held by the University of Waterloo.