[news.admin] cunbatch and news version 2.11

jerry@oliveb.UUCP (Jerry F Aguirre) (12/05/86)

Version 2.11 of the news software has the ability for rnews to recognize
several forms of batching and implement the necessary unpacking.

I have seen a lot of mail traffic lately under the general heading of

    "I have 2.11 installed so I can switch to rnews instead of cunbatch"
or
    "Do you have 2.11 installed and can I switch to rnews instead of
    cunbatch"

I leave it to the news gurus to correct me if I am wrong but there is no
advantage to sending compressed batches to remote!rnews instead of
remote!cunbatch.

The only advantage to receiving rnews instead of cunbatch is that you
don't have to add cunbatch to the list of allowed UUCP commands.  For
some versions of UUCP the list of commands is compiled into the code
and if a site doesn't have source this can be a problem.   Frequently
the list of commands already includes "rnews" or some less important
command (finger?) can be patched to be "rnews".  Having to patch in
"cunbatch" just makes this more difficult especially as "cunbatch" is a
longer string than any of the existing commands.  It was for these sites
that the built in interpretation of batching by rnews was added.

Sending all news to "rnews" regardless of format may be cleaner but
it is not something to get excited about.  I just wanted to keep someone
from sleepless nights worrying about converting to the new format. :-)

				Jerry Aguirre @ Olivetti ATC

bytebug@fritz.UUCP (Roger L. Long) (12/09/86)

In article <241@oliveb.UUCP> jerry@oliveb.UUCP (Jerry F Aguirre) writes:
>I have seen a lot of mail traffic lately under the general heading of
>
>    "I have 2.11 installed so I can switch to rnews instead of cunbatch"
>or
>    "Do you have 2.11 installed and can I switch to rnews instead of
>    cunbatch"
>
>I leave it to the news gurus to correct me if I am wrong but there is no
>advantage to sending compressed batches to remote!rnews instead of
>remote!cunbatch.

As one of the folks who recently contacted Jerry to ask about the state
of news on his system, I can add a couple of possible advantages.  I've
configured 2.11 with both NICE and SPOOLNEWS defined.  When you send
compressed batches to remote!cunbatch, the batch is immediately
uncompressed at full priority, and fed to rnews to spool in
/usr/spool/news/.rnews.  If you send them to remote!rnews, they are
placed directly into /usr/spool/news/.rnews and then uncompressed at
reduced priority when you execute "rnews -U" from your crontab entry.
Since the decompression is delayed, this also reduced the amount of
disk space required in the /usr/spool/news/.rnews directory.  For these
reasons, use of remote!rnews is preferred on a loaded system.

Also, in terms of configuration, I have seperate lines in my crontab
file for "sendbatch -c" and "sendbatch -c -o" and would like to move
the systems all onto one line eventually.
--
	Roger L. Long
	FileNet Corp

rick@seismo.CSS.GOV (Rick Adams) (12/09/86)

> Also, in terms of configuration, I have seperate lines in my crontab
> file for "sendbatch -c" and "sendbatch -c -o" and would like to move
> the systems all onto one line eventually.

Note that you can replace:

	sendbatch -c site1 site2 site3
	sendbatch -c -o site4 site5
with
	sendbatch -c site1 site2 site3 -o site4 site5

The flags apply to the rest of the line.

---rick

dave@lsuc.UUCP (12/09/86)

In article <2760@fritz.UUCP> bytebug@fritz.UUCP (Roger L. Long) writes:
>Also, in terms of configuration, I have seperate lines in my crontab
>file for "sendbatch -c" and "sendbatch -c -o" and would like to move
>the systems all onto one line eventually.

I call "/usr/lib/news/newsbatches" from crontab, so that
crontab needn't be changed when details of our feeds change.
Here's the newsbatches file. utmanitou is running 2.11, so
doesn't need -o, and utzoo is a 16-bit machine which can only
accept 12-bit compression.

# newsbatches - call sendbatch on each site in turn
for site in utzoo mnetor sickkids radha utmanitou
do
	case $site in utzoo) flags="-b12 -o" ;;
		      utmanitou) flags=" " ;;
			*) flags=-o ;;
	esac
	/usr/lib/news/sendbatch -c $flags $site
done

David Sherman
--
{ ihnp4!utzoo  seismo!mnetor  utai  hcr  decvax!utcsri  } !lsuc!dave

roy@phri.UUCP (Roy Smith) (12/11/86)

In article <42823@beno.seismo.CSS.GOV> rick@seismo.CSS.GOV (Rick Adams) writes:
> Note that you can replace:
> 	sendbatch -c site1 site2 site3
> 	sendbatch -c -o site4 site5
> with
> 	sendbatch -c site1 site2 site3 -o site4 site5

Ooooh!  How un-getopt(3)-ish! :-)
455 First Avenue, New York, NY 10016

"you can't spell deoxyribonucleic without unix!"