[news.admin] Bug in `.ux' macro in 2.11 doc/tmac.n USENET TROFF macros ; fix

earle@smeagol.UUCP (Greg Earle) (12/20/86)

	When a document using the Netnews `-mn' macros uses the `.ux' macro
	to print out the word `UNIX', it checks a number register to see
	if this is the first time the macro has been invoked.  If so, it prints
	the word `UNIX' followed by the Registered Trademark symbol, (R)
	(Sorry, that's as close as I can come :-) and of course puts in the
	obligatory footnote at the bottom of the page.  Unfortunately, the
	rest of the text on the line after the Trademark symbol is printed
	*below* the text preceeding the `UNIX(R)'; i.e., the vertical space
	in the current diversion is wrong.

Repeat-by:
	Use your favorite version of troff, and send the following pages to
	your favorite Laser printer or typesetter:
	manner.mn:	Page 4	[{yerfave}troff -mn -o4  manner.mn]
	howto.mn:	Page 1	[{yerfave}troff -mn -o1  howto.mn]
	standard.mn:	Page 10 	"	"   -o10 standard.mn
	install.mn:	Page 6		"	"   -o6  install.mn

	Scan the outputted page for the line with `UNIX(R)'.  Look at the
	text after it.

Fix:
	Apply the following diff to doc/tmac.n; the effect of the patch is
	to reverse the order of `\\s0\\d' to be `\\d\\s0'.  *Note*: This
	has the side effect of placing the `(R)' symbol slightly lower in
	relation to the `UNIX is a registered trademark of AT&T' text in
	the footer.  I believe it is still aesthetically pleasing, and
	clearly discernable as a footnote.  Also, it seems to leave a little
	space between the `(R)' and the next word; this is not aesthetically
	pleasing but seems better than the alternative.  Unfortunately, this
	might imply that the following is not the `correct' fix.  If this is
	not the `correct' fix, then Rick or Matt please let us know.

*** doc/tmac.n.dist	Mon Dec  1 22:05:51 1986
--- doc/tmac.n	Fri Dec 19 22:14:56 1986
***************
*** 521,527
  .ie \\n(ux \\&\\$2\\s-1UNIX\\s0\\$1
  .el \{\
  .	nr ux +1			\" mark footnote as dropped
! \\&\\$2\\s-1UNIX\\s0\\s-5\\u\\*(rg\\s0\\d\\$1
  .	fn				\" put out the footnote
  \\&\\s-5\\u\\*(rg\\s0\\dUNIX is a registered trademark of AT&T.
  .	ef				\" short and sweet ...

--- 521,527 -----
  .ie \\n(ux \\&\\$2\\s-1UNIX\\s0\\$1
  .el \{\
  .	nr ux +1			\" mark footnote as dropped
! \\&\\$2\\s-1UNIX\\s0\\s-5\\u\\*(rg\\d\\s0\\$1
  .	fn				\" put out the footnote
  \\&\\s-5\\u\\*(rg\\d\\s0UNIX is a registered trademark of AT&T.
  .	ef				\" short and sweet ...
***************
*** 523,529
  .	nr ux +1			\" mark footnote as dropped
  \\&\\$2\\s-1UNIX\\s0\\s-5\\u\\*(rg\\s0\\d\\$1
  .	fn				\" put out the footnote
! \\&\\s-5\\u\\*(rg\\s0\\dUNIX is a registered trademark of AT&T.
  .	ef				\" short and sweet ...
  .\}
  ..

--- 523,529 -----

--
	Greg Earle	UUCP: sdcrdcf!smeagol!earle; attmail!earle
	JPL		ARPA: elroy!smeagol!earle@csvax.caltech.edu

...I'm IMAGINING a sensuous GIRAFFE, CAVORTING in the BACK ROOM
of a KOSHER DELI --

earle@smeagol.UUCP (12/23/86)

In article <785@smeagol.UUCP>, earle@smeagol.UUCP (That's me) wrote:
> 	When a document using the Netnews `-mn' macros uses the `.ux' macro
> 	to print out the word `UNIX', it checks a number register to see
> 	if this is the first time the macro has been invoked.  If so, it prints
> 	the word `UNIX' followed by the Registered Trademark symbol, (R)
> 	(Sorry, that's as close as I can come :-) and of course puts in the
> 	obligatory footnote at the bottom of the page.  Unfortunately, the
> 	rest of the text on the line after the Trademark symbol is printed
> 	*below* the text preceeding the `UNIX(R)'; i.e., the vertical space
> 	in the current diversion is wrong.

Arrgghh.  The problems with only having one printer and no control to test
against.

According to Rick Adams, and others without PostScript LaserWriters, the bug
is NOT in the macro package; the output is fine on their printers.  It appears
that we've tickled a bug in the Adobe TranScript program `pscat', which is
used to convert the troff CAT output into PostScript.

Therefore, you need only install this `fix' if you wish to work around this
problem *iff* you have a LaserWriter and the TranScript package.

Sorry for any inconvenience it caused.
--
	Greg Earle	UUCP: sdcrdcf!smeagol!earle; attmail!earle
	JPL		ARPA: elroy!smeagol!earle@csvax.caltech.edu
			      smeagol!earle@usc-oberon.usc.edu
			      earle@jplpub1.jpl.nasa.gov (For the daring)
			AT&T: +1 818 354 4034

TAPPING? You POLITICIANS! Don't you realize that the END of the "Wash Cycle"
is a TREASURED MOMENT for most people?!

campbell@maynard.BSW.COM (Larry Campbell) (12/24/86)

In article <786@smeagol.UUCP> earle@smeagol.UUCP (Greg Earle) writes:
>According to Rick Adams, and others without PostScript LaserWriters, the bug
>is NOT in the macro package; the output is fine on their printers.  It appears
>that we've tickled a bug in the Adobe TranScript program `pscat', which is
>used to convert the troff CAT output into PostScript.
>
>Therefore, you need only install this `fix' if you wish to work around this
>problem *iff* you have a LaserWriter and the TranScript package.

Well, it happens to me too, and I'm using neither a LaserWriter nor
TranScript.  I'm using Tplus (a DWB port by Textware) and an HP LaserJet.

Now, it seems to me that the macro is just plain incorrect.  According
to the troff manual, \u and \d move 1/2 em up or down.  The definition
of an em is three times the current point size.  So to balance a \u,
the \d should be made at the same point size as the \u.

So I think Greg was right the first time.
--
Larry Campbell                                The Boston Software Works, Inc.
Internet: campbell@maynard.bsw.com          120 Fulton Street, Boston MA 02109

ron@brl-sem.ARPA (Ron Natalie <ron>) (12/24/86)

In article <788@maynard.BSW.COM>, campbell@maynard.BSW.COM (Larry Campbell) writes:
> Now, it seems to me that the macro is just plain incorrect.  According
> to the troff manual, \u and \d move 1/2 em up or down.  The definition
> of an em is three times the current point size.  So to balance a \u,
> the \d should be made at the same point size as the \u.

An EM is the point size horizontally.  Essentially, it is a square blank
character.

-Ron

lenlo@liuida.UUCP (Lennart Lovstrand) (12/25/86)

In article <786@smeagol.UUCP> earle@smeagol.UUCP (Greg Earle) writes:
> According to Rick Adams, and others without PostScript LaserWriters, the bug
> is NOT in the macro package; the output is fine on their printers.  It appears
> that we've tickled a bug in the Adobe TranScript program `pscat', which is
> used to convert the troff CAT output into PostScript.

Hmm, I'm not so sure about that.  The bug appears on my printout as well
and we use ditroff + Xerox' Interpress Toolkit to produce output on their
laser printers.  I haven't had an opportunity to try your bugfix yet, so
I don't really know if it helps, of course, but I trust you on your words
(and it *looks* right) :-).  First I thought that it might be ditroff vs.
troff problems, but since you use troff I'm not so sure any more.
Anybody else who knows?

--Lennart
--
Dept of Computer and Information Science, University of Linkoping, Sweden
UUCP: {seismo, mcvax}!enea!liuida!lel           EARN/BITNET: LEL@SELIUI51

dennis@rlgvax.UUCP (Dennis Bednar) (12/28/86)

Anybody know what ESCAPE 8 and ESCAPE 9 sequences are in nroff
output?  I noticed these in some nroff output of the install
guide in the doc directory.

Also, if I remember correctly, I saw one instance of a control-k
character in nroff output in one of the 2.11 man pages. Again,
any comments?
--
-Dennis Bednar
{decvax,ihnp4,harpo,allegra}!seismo!rlgvax!dennis	UUCP

bzs@bu-cs.BU.EDU (Barry Shein) (12/28/86)

>Anybody know what ESCAPE 8 and ESCAPE 9 sequences are in nroff
>output?  I noticed these in some nroff output of the install
>guide in the doc directory.
>-Dennis Bednar

These are escape sequences meaningful to a Teletype Model 37, I think
those are half-line up/down or something like that.

Use the -T option to nroff to specify a more appropriate output device,
see the manual. It's also not very hard to write a post-processor to
simulate the 37 on most any reasonable cheap printer, I've done it a
few times in the distant past, essentially if((c = getchar()) == ESC)
switch(c = getchar()) and then do whatever is necessary (:-). See the
'col' man page (and col sources if you have them.)

	-Barry Shein, Boston University

lyndon@ncc.UUCP (Lyndon Nerenberg) (12/29/86)

In article <305@rlgvax.UUCP>, dennis@rlgvax.UUCP (Dennis Bednar) writes:
< Anybody know what ESCAPE 8 and ESCAPE 9 sequences are in nroff
< output?  I noticed these in some nroff output of the install
< guide in the doc directory.

ESC[89] are used to represent vertical half line motions on the
line printer. Piping the output through col(1) will fix things...

< Also, if I remember correctly, I saw one instance of a control-k
< character in nroff output in one of the 2.11 man pages. Again,
< any comments?

The ^K stuff represents vertical motion indexes (ie vertical tabs).
Again, col should deal with this...
--
Lyndon Nerenberg (VE6BBM)      Systems Group - A Div. of Nexus Computing Corp.

UUCP: {ihnp4,ubc-vision,watmath}!alberta!ncc!lyndon  BITNET: USERCHNL@UALTAMTS

bob@mwhhlaw.UUCP (Bob Hartley) (12/30/86)

> Anybody know what ESCAPE 8 and ESCAPE 9 sequences are in nroff
> output?  I noticed these in some nroff output of the install
> guide in the doc directory.

NOT A BUG.  See documentation for COL(1).
--
Bob Hartley
ihnp4!inuxc!mwhhlaw!bob