[news.admin] UUCP map for rm att

campbell@maynard.UUCP (01/22/87)

Maybe I'm just being too squeamish (and/or too lazy), but today's
mod.map posting that deleted a bunch of files from my map directory
really made me queasy.  Now, I know it's a bit risky to just go and
shell anything that gets posted to mod.map, but it's easy to do and
so far no one's been burnt.

Am I making too much of this, or did it bother anyone else as well?
--
Larry Campbell                                The Boston Software Works, Inc.
Internet: campbell@maynard.uucp             120 Fulton Street, Boston MA 02109

avolio@decuac.UUCP (01/26/87)

In article <813@maynard.BSW.COM>, campbell@maynard.UUCP writes:
> Maybe I'm just being too squeamish (and/or too lazy), but today's
> mod.map posting that deleted a bunch of files from my map directory
> really made me queasy.  Now, I know it's a bit risky to just go and
> shell anything that gets posted to mod.map, but it's easy to do and
> so far no one's been burnt.

Well, what we do is run uuhosts when there are map files to unbatch
and install.  The bin directory for that is -- on our system --
/usr/local/lib/maps/bin.  There is no "rm" in that directory, so I had
to do it by hand.  (I will now install an rm there that just echos the
argument so I have a list of files... but it was pretty obvious.)  If
this runs from crontab as, say, news and user news owns the maps,
there is not much danger.  Or make up soime other user -- mapowner, or
something -- and run as that user when you install the maps.

Fred