[news.admin] Copyright status of the netnews software

merlin@hqda-ai.UUCP (02/19/87)

In article <1311@hplabsc.UUCP>, taylor@hplabsc.UUCP (Dave Taylor) writes:
> Greg Woods then says: "True, we don't have to be a backbone site, but
> SOMEBODY DOES"
>
> That I disagree with.  We could do perfectly well by eliminating
> the whole concept of backbone sites.  If every site were to have
> a fanout of three, say, we would never need sites that have a fanout
> of 50 or more.  It is a matter of convenience and logistics that cause
> us to have backbone sites.

My machine sits on AUTOVON, the Army's in-house long-distance
company.  This network connects all the Army posts in the world.
If there are other SA's out there who have access to this network,
and are interested in augmenting the backbone network, I'd be glad
to participate.  Of course, this is not really doing away with the
concept of backbone, but if you don't like the way the backbone
SA's are starting to think, do it yourself.

I have a full news feed, running 2.11, with 1200/2400 modem.  If
you have access to AUTOVON, give me a call.  The AUTOVON number is
224-6900.
--
	David S. Hayes, The Merlin of Avalon
	PhoneNet:	(202) 694-6900