[news.admin] andrew

cfe#@andrew.cmu.edu.UUCP (02/23/87)

What follows is a complaint that was forwarded to the postmaster at
andrew.cmu.edu (an Internet site, a client of netnews via nntp).  As far as I
can tell, there's nothing illegal about the articles that are posted from our
site, though they may not be formatted identically to those that are composed
with more widespread systems.  Thus, we know of nothing that Andrew is
specifically doing that could be causing the problems that Dan Molinelli
cites.  We have no recourse but to ask for a clarification (from a broad
audience--sorry for the size of the distribution) of what could be the root
causes here, and whether any changes need to be made at our site, at some
intermediate sites, and/or at the receiving site.

I assure you that we're not ``trashing'' our Message-IDs; what you see quoted
below are two forms of Message-ID, the shorter one being the newer form.
Further, the three zero-length messages that Dan Molinelli found were not
reported as duplicates in the quoted log file, though other such messages
were.  The three zero-length messages all had Message-IDs of the form

<MS.V3.18.rs4v.80020e07.ws7.hh20.andrew.cmu.edu.ibm032.####.#@andrew.cmu.edu>
where the #'s were all replaced by digits.  Furthermore, the recipient site
in question apparently had no trouble posting the message with Message-ID: of
	<MS.V3.18.haste.80020f0a.clymer.ibm032.207.2@andrew.cmu.edu>
to rec.arts.sf-lovers/1625 on 02/18/87 at 05:34.

Please direct comments to Internet address postman#@andrew.cmu.edu.  My
Internet address is cfe#@andrew.cmu.edu.

Thanks for your help.

		Craig Everhart
		Andrew message system

--begin quoted message--
	Date: Thu, 19 Feb 87 17:18:40 PST
	From: seismo!scubed!sdcsvax!sdcrdcf!trwrb!moline@ur-seneca.arpa (Dan
Molinelli)
	Subject: andrew

	lately, we've been getting zero length files in our /tmp directory
	from news.(we're running 2.11 on a pyramid 98x.)

	its comes from andrew.cmu.edu . i've sent a nasty letter off
	to postmaster@andrew.cmu.edu . it looks like something running on an
ibm pc.
	he's trashing his message ids. it looks like news goes crazy
(creating zero
	length files in /tmp) when it thinks duplicate articles are received
	from andrew.cmu.edu (rejecting them).
	any help wopuld be appreciated.

	thanks
	Daniel Molinelli
	TRW Electronics & Defense Sector
	Financial and Data Services Division
	UUCP: {sdcrdcf,decvax,ihnp4,ucbvax}!trwrb!moline

	=====
	ls -l /tmp/L*
	=====
	-rw-r--r--  1 news            0 Feb 18 16:33
L<ms.v3.18.rs4v.80020e07.ws7.hh20.andrew.cmu.edu.ibm032.1914.2@andrew.cmu.edu>
	-rw-r--r--  1 news            0 Feb 18 20:41
L<ms.v3.18.rs4v.80020e07.ws7.hh20.andrew.cmu.edu.ibm032.2540.7@andrew.cmu.edu>
	-rw-r--r--  1 news            0 Feb 18 20:42
L<ms.v3.18.rs4v.80020e07.ws7.hh20.andrew.cmu.edu.ibm032.2540.8@andrew.cmu.edu>
	=====
	grep andrew /usr/local/lib/news/history
	====
	<YUC7X-y00Vs7oIg09-@andrew.cmu.edu>	02/18/87 04:59
comp.sys.ibm.pc/1907
	<kUC-Jmy00ja1kEA0CG@andrew.cmu.edu>	02/18/87 05:18
rec.games.misc/161
	<MS.V3.18.haste.80020f0a.clymer.ibm032.207.2@andrew.cmu.edu>
02/18/87 05:34	rec.arts.sf-lovers/1625
	<540595943.3122.mp1w.warrington.ibm032@andrew.cmu.edu>	02/18/87
05:38	rec.arts.tv/428
	<540596180.1087.ms5n.lowber.ibm032@andrew.cmu.edu>	02/18/87
05:38	rec.music.misc/1089
	<oUCGqiy00WA1c8o1bE@andrew.cmu.edu>	02/18/87 08:04
comp.sys.mac/1429
	<gUCHKHy00UoK8Jo0P2@andrew.cmu.edu>	02/18/87 08:05
sci.physics/662
	<oUCT-=y00VsQ9bY0OA@andrew.cmu.edu>	02/18/87 20:41
rec.sport.hockey/55
	<0UCVN4y00W0K4zw0c7@andrew.cmu.edu>	02/18/87 20:42
rec.humor/1234

	====
	grep andrew /usr/local/lib/news/log
	=====
	Feb 18 16:26	scgvaxd	Duplicate article
<YUC7X-y00Vs7oIg09-@andrew.cmu.edu> rejected
	Feb 18 16:33	scgvaxd	received
<MS.V3.18.rs4v.80020e07.ws7.hh20.andrew.cmu.edu.ibm032.1914.2@andrew.cmu.edu>
ng rec.arts.tv subj 'Re: Moonlighting'
	Feb 18 16:33	scgvaxd	from rs4v#@andrew.cmu.edu (Russ
Seligman) relay
	Feb 18 16:33	scgvaxd	Duplicate article
<kUC-Jmy00ja1kEA0CG@andrew.cmu.edu> rejected
	Feb 18 16:49	scgvaxd	Duplicate article
<MS.V3.18.haste.80020f0a.clymer.ibm032.207.2@andrew.cmu.edu> rejected
	Feb 18 16:53	scgvaxd	Duplicate article
<540595943.3122.mp1w.warrington.ibm032@andrew.cmu.edu> rejected
	Feb 18 16:53	scgvaxd	Duplicate article
<540596180.1087.ms5n.lowber.ibm032@andrew.cmu.edu> rejected
	Feb 18 20:41	sdcrdcf	received
<oUCT-=y00VsQ9bY0OA@andrew.cmu.edu> ng rec.sport.hockey subj 'Re: violence
and finesse in hockey'
	Feb 18 20:41	sdcrdcf	from sgm#@andrew.cmu.edu (Sherri
Menees) relay
	Feb 18 20:41	sdcrdcf	<oUCT-=y00VsQ9bY0OA@andrew.cmu.edu>
sent to scgvaxd, trwspp, trwspf, desint, trwcsed, aero, cepu, cadovax, felix,
trwdis, ucla-an
	Feb 18 20:41	sdcrdcf	received
<MS.V3.18.rs4v.80020e07.ws7.hh20.andrew.cmu.edu.ibm032.2540.7@andrew.cmu.edu>
ng rec.arts.tv subj 'Re: Cartoon Violence'
	Feb 18 20:41	sdcrdcf	from rs4v#@andrew.cmu.edu (Russ
Seligman) relay
	Feb 18 20:42	sdcrdcf	received
<MS.V3.18.rs4v.80020e07.ws7.hh20.andrew.cmu.edu.ibm032.2540.8@andrew.cmu.edu>
ng rec.humor.d subj 'Re: rude to lesbians'
	Feb 18 20:42	sdcrdcf	from rs4v#@andrew.cmu.edu (Russ
Seligman) relay
	Feb 18 20:42	sdcrdcf	received
<0UCVN4y00W0K4zw0c7@andrew.cmu.edu> ng rec.humor subj 'Joke (offensive to
bear lovers)'
	Feb 18 20:42	sdcrdcf	from mp1w#@andrew.cmu.edu (Marc
Russell Pawliger) relay
	Feb 18 20:42	sdcrdcf	<0UCVN4y00W0K4zw0c7@andrew.cmu.edu>
sent to scgvaxd, trwspp, trwspf, desint, trwcsed, aero, cepu, cadovax, felix,
trwdis, ucla-an

earlw@pesnta.UUCP (02/25/87)

Some of these Message-ID's are just too long.  Why do you need anything more
than 8 digits followed by the site name?

Good Message-ID:    <12345678@pesnta.CCUR.COM>
Bad  Message-ID:    <870225.network.port3.at.my.desk.which.is.in.building.3A.or.
I.may.be.somewhere.else.using.a.modem.and.a.terminal.just.like.I.did.the.other.d
ay.but.anyway.I.did.manage.to.write.this.news.article.somehow.so.I.guess.noone.r
eally.cares.how.I.did.it.12345678@pesnta.CCUR.COM>