[news.admin] Sending Email to People who post to the USENET

taylor@hplabsc.UUCP (02/27/87)

in news.sysadmin, David Lesher at ncoast.UUCP comments:

> I regularly see posting [like] "I would have mailed but my mailer choked.."
> Now the same thing often happens to me...it is very wasteful of net.money
> would it not be worthwhile to devote some fraction of net.genuis/net.GOD
> (s) resources to inventing better, more dependable, mailers?

I will state something that might be viewed (inevitably) as
controversial: the mail systems we have are fine.  There is nothing
wrong with them (hang on before you slam down that "F" key!) but rather
what we're seeing is the problems of:

   1. having a system that expects dynamic routing in a static
      routing universe (e.g. pathalias)

   2. having this system phased out (e.g. the use of 'domains')

   3. not having the new system implemented yet much of anywhere

   4. some serious delusions about how reliable the software is going
      to be.

What this means, I surmise, is that the main reason we're seeing people
unable to reply to postings and/or get email addresses is that we've
reached a point where people don't really want to mess with the pathalias
style of addressing (the static routing system) and where we can't rely
on 'core mail backbone' sites (like the ex-ihnp4) to reroute stuff based
on real paths (the fake-dynamic routing that smail allows).  At the
same time, since there is a perceived need for domains as a way to break
up our massive ".UUCP" domain into smaller, more manageable chunks,
we're seeing hostnames that are from out of the twilight zone as far as
any pathalias system is concerned ANYway.  "hplabs.HP.COM" is a fine
example of this...

For reasons I shan't enter here, ignoring domain information on an
electronic address (e.g. "hplabs.HP.COM" --> "hplabs") is a very bad
idea...

What we're supposed to end up with is a system that says "oohhh...
you're sending mail to <hostname>.HP.COM (or <hostname>.<localdomain>.HP.COM)
so I'll just send it to machine X".  As we further and further subdivide
the UUCP domain into pieces (.EDU, .STANFORD.EDU, CS.STANFORD.EDU, etc)
we should theoretically see simpler and simpler delivery systems.

In reality, however, I suspect that it'll be quite a bit further along
before we 'shake out' the system and get some real reliability.  There
are some inherent problems with static routing information masquerading
as dynamic routing information that are poised to attack...

BUT as far as what we're talking about here, the best solution I can
make is for people to have mail systems that grab not only the
From: address in the posting, but the Path: address too, and read the
have a file containing the 10 or 15 main ones, if you want) and then
figures out the optimal (static, alas) route to that backbone.

For example, your posting has the headers:

From: wb8foz@ncoast.UUCP (David Lesher)

First we should check the From: address and (as would really happen) figure
out that we have no idea how to get email to ncoast.UUCP.  So as an
alternative plan, instead of dropping it there, we'd read the Path: line and
start from the right, building up a longer and longer route until we find
a host that we know we can get to:

	               hal!ncoast!wb8foz
	      cwruecmp!hal!ncoast!wb8foz
	cbatt!cwruecmp!hal!ncoast!wb8foz

We know how to get to 'cbatt' (from hplabs it's simply via 'cbosgd') so
we now have the address:

	cbosgd!cbatt!cwruecmp!hal!ncoast!wb8foz

which is pretty reasonable.

The advantage to this scheme is that it is indeed dynamic - it only finds
routes that are actually those that have been taken in the past few
days (assume current articles).  The list of backbone sites could be as
small as 20 or 30 and we'd be ok...(check the list in the Path: line
above - there are 5 'backbones' in the route: hplabs, mcnc, seismo, ihnp4,
and cbatt).

Gee...  neat idea.  Maybe I should implement it or something.

	Anyone have any comments?

					-- Dave Taylor --

paul@devon.UUCP (03/01/87)

In article <1354@hplabsc.UUCP>, taylor@hplabsc.UUCP (Dave Taylor) writes:
> BUT as far as what we're talking about here, the best solution I can
> make is for people to have mail systems that grab not only the
> From: address in the posting, but the Path: address too, and read the
> have a file containing the 10 or 15 main ones, if you want) and then
> figures out the optimal (static, alas) route to that backbone.
>
> [  example deleted  ]
>
> 	Anyone have any comments?

Yeah. Two of them.

First, the Path: line, although "newer" than the static information
from pathalias, is not necessarily correct.  Take the Path: line
in the article I'm following up to:

While this is the path that the article took to get here, it ignores
the fact that devon (my system) talks directly with cbmvax for mail
purposes (my news feed comes from vu-vlsi).  It also ignores the fact
that cbmvax exchanges mail with seismo directly, too.

This is not necessarily a Bad Thing--routing through extra hosts.  It
would have the benefit of using more recent data to make a routing
decisison.  But (here comes the 2nd comment:) what if cbmvax exchanged
ONLY NEWS with rutgers (yeah, I know, it doesn't.  But what if it did!).
Your mail-path-parsing scheme, not knowing this, would attempt to send
mail via:

	...!seismo!rutgers!cbmvax!vu-vlsi!...

and rutgers would not be able to forward it to cbmvax.  Although my
example is not good, the point I'm making is that it would be A Bad
Idea to assume that just because news follows a given path, that mail
will be able to follow the same path.

Does all this sound familiar?  B-news 2.11, if compiled without the
INTERNET definition, uses the Path: line to generate a return route
for a reply (for reply-by-mail, not followups).  I had more mail
bounced back before I defined INTERNET here than I care to remember
(Yes, I've installed smail and defined INTERNET to news now).  Smail
may be using "older" data, but I've had *far less* troubles with
pathalias/smail generated paths than I had before using them.

- paul

--
Paul Sutcliffe, Jr.	    paul@devon.UUCP	(or, if you prefer:)
Devon Computer Services	    {seismo,ihnp4,allegra,rutgers}!cbmvax!devon!paul

jerry@oliveb.UUCP (03/04/87)

In article <228@devon.UUCP> paul@devon.UUCP (Paul Sutcliffe Jr.) writes:

>While this is the path that the article took to get here, it ignores
>Your mail-path-parsing scheme, not knowing this, would attempt to send
>mail via:
>
>	...!seismo!rutgers!cbmvax!vu-vlsi!...

NO, you have it backwards.  Unlike reversing a UUCP address the "Path:"
line is ALREADY in the correct format for a UUCP address.  So for the
example given it would be:

	...!hplabs!hplabsc!taylor

which doesn't seem especially long to me.

I don't think the proposed algorithm should be the default way to route
mail but if the automatic routing was unable to find the target site
then it could privide an alternative.

As for the other objection, I believe for every "news but not mail" link
that exists there are 10 published connections that don't really work.
With connections constantly changing routing is not exactly an exact
science.

Suppose you were trying to drive cross country and road maps were only
published every year or so.  Meanwhile the road crews were closing
highways for repair and finishing new roads all the time.  Wait, what am
I saying?

					Jerry Aguirre
					Systems Administration
					Olivetti ATC

jordan@ucbarpa.Berkeley.EDU.UUCP (03/05/87)

it's really a shame that people like dave believe that the Path: line
has any useful information in it.  it should *never* be used for
routing mail, not even for a hint.  not even with any amount of AI you
might code into your idea ... it's simply not going to work.

i get a large amount of mail dumped into the postmaster mailbox all the
time (this is on the machine ames, a backbone site) that is people
trying to use the Path: line and who also have a broken From: line so
that the bounce bounces ... when i had more time, i used to send a note
back telling them what to do ... after 100 or so of these, i gave up.

it made me wonder about why people think mail is so unreliable
sometimes.  it's probably due to the fact that the From: line is
unrealiable and a bounce was unable to get sent back ...

/jordan

mangoe@mimsy.UUCP (Charley Wingate) (03/06/87)

Jordan Hayes writes:
>it's really a shame that people like dave believe that the Path: line
>has any useful information in it.  it should *never* be used for
>routing mail, not even for a hint.[...]  [I]t made me wonder about why
>people think mail is so unreliable sometimes.  it's probably due to the fact
>that the From: line is unrealiable and a bounce was unable to get sent back.

Well, I don't know about you, but often the Path: is the only information I
have available to find a site.  Our maps simply don't get udated that often.
Furthermore, when I do construct a path that, according to the mailer, is
going to work, often as not I end up just sending back over the path anyway,
because the map information is somehow defective.  (There's one site I have
to construct a path to anyway, because there are two sites with the same
name.)

People have the opinion that mail is unreliable because, often enough, it is
unreliable given the routing info they have available to them.  Following
the path back at least has the advantage of being current information, and
one can just as well argue that a lot of the defects encountered in tracing
it back arise because the path itself isn't being contructed correctly by
the news software.

And remember, the Ides of March are coming....

C. Wingate

jordan@ucbarpa.Berkeley.EDU (Jordan Hayes) (03/07/87)

Charley Wingate <mangoe@mimsy.UUCP> writes:

	Well, I don't know about you, but often the Path: is the only
	information I have available to find a site.

remember that the Path: line shows where the article has been, and it
has been transmitted via news ... let's all say this out loud once
again:

	"NEWS LINKS DO NOT IMPLY MAIL LINKS"

i have to laugh every time someone sends mail over a news link that has
no corresponding mail link and the bounce winds up in my mailbox
because someone mangled the return address.  i used to be concerned,
but now it's just silliness.

/jordan

john@xanth.UUCP (John Owens) (03/09/87)

> 	"NEWS LINKS DO NOT IMPLY MAIL LINKS"
>
> i have to laugh every time someone sends mail over a news link that has
> no corresponding mail link and the bounce winds up in my mailbox
> because someone mangled the return address.  i used to be concerned,
> but now it's just silliness.
>
> /jordan

I agree completely from a theoretical point of view, but from a
practical point of view, when I see mail from a uucp site that's not
in the uucp maps, I can almost always find how to get to them by
looking on the Path: line - usually the next-to-last site will be in
the maps.  At worst, I have to go known-site!next-site!final-site!user.

Also, whenever I set up a non-uucp news link, I try to make sure that
mail returned via the Path: line will work somehow.  This isn't always
possible, but when it is, it allows not-so-smart sites to still get
replies through.  Remember, if you don't have INTERNET defined when
you build news, it'll reply through the Path!

--
John Owens		Old Dominion University - Norfolk, Virginia, USA
john@ODU.EDU		old arpa: john%odu.edu@RELAY.CS.NET