[news.admin] moderated newsgroup posting

mojo@micropro.UUCP (03/13/87)

If I'm running 2.11 news, smail 2.3, and have a current path database,
is there any reason why I can't make mail aliases from the published
moderators list, and put the line:

backbone	%s

in my mailpaths file?

Might be neat if a list of mail aliases were included with the
moderators list.

--
Mojo
... Morris Jones, MicroPro Int'l Corp., Product Development

spaf@gt-karloff.UUCP (03/13/87)

In article <311@micropro.UUCP> mojo@micropro.UUCP (Morris Jones) writes:
>If I'm running 2.11 news, smail 2.3, and have a current path database,
>is there any reason why I can't make mail aliases from the published
>moderators list, and put the line:
>
>backbone	%s
>
>in my mailpaths file?

Well, the only reason not to is that your list might be as much as
2 weeks out of date.  That usually isn't a problem, but sometimes is.
The sites that are listed in the "How to Construct the Mailpaths File"
article get updates by mail within 24 hours of any change to the
list of moderators, and thus their lists are usually right up-to-date.

You probably want to define "internet" as "%s", though, and make sure
that INTERNET is defined in your "defs.h" file.  If you run smail and
2.11, that should provide a big win.
Gene Spafford
Software Engineering Research Center (SERC), Georgia Tech, Atlanta GA 30332
CSNet:	Spaf @ GATech		ARPA:	Spaf@Gatech.EDU
uucp:	...!{akgua,decvax,hplabs,ihnp4,linus,seismo,ulysses}!gatech!spaf