Newsgroups: mod.ai
Subject: Conference - Computing and Society in Seattle, Preceding AAAI
Date: 3 Mar 87 16:59:31 GMT
Sender: daemon@ucbvax.BERKELEY.EDU

------- Message 2

Newsgroups: comp.unix.wizards
Date: 5 Mar 87 00:39:21 GMT
Sender: news@brl-adm.ARPA

------- End of Forwarded Messages

fair@ucbarpa.Berkeley.EDU.UUCP (03/12/87)

>------- Forwarded Messages (Headers only)

>Newsgroups: mod.ai
>Subject: Conference - Computing and Society in Seattle, Preceding AAAI
>Date: 3 Mar 87 16:59:31 GMT
>Sender: daemon@ucbvax.BERKELEY.EDU

Ah, it is clear for all to see. Note, the missing "From:", the
presence of "Posted:" and "Article-I.D.:" Clear as the light of day.

Obviously, there is a site that

	1. is still running B news 2.9
		(may that system get terminal bit rot on its disks!)
or
	2. has the B news 2.9 compat code still compiled in.

What needs to be done is to send a lynch mob around to the office of
the system administrator of each system, and determine which of the two
possibilities is occuring. If #1, lynch the offender on the spot,
without mercy and burn the computer to the ground. B news 2.9 was
squashed YEARS ago, or so we of the Grand Backbone Cabal thought. If
it's #2, stand over the admin while he #undefines OLD, recompiles and
re-installs his netnews. If he refuses, lynch him on the spot, without
mercy...

I think we can eliminate the backbone sites involved (ucbvax, cbatt,
clyde) which neatly leaves the problem on strictly Canadian soil, at
either the U of Waterloo, or the U of Toronto.

	utegc	utcsri	utzoo	utgpu

	water	watnot	watmath

I'm also more than willing to bet that it's not utzoo, despite the fact
that Henry Spencer is known to be a somewhat subversive character...

	NNTP service with a :-}

	Erik E. Fair	ucbvax!fair	fair@ucbarpa.berkeley.edu

rjwhite@watmath.UUCP (03/13/87)

> which neatly leaves the problem on strictly Canadian soil, at
> either the U of Waterloo, or the U of Toronto.

all waterloo machines are running 2.11 news.
'OLD' is not compiled in.
	-rj

> Ah, it is clear for all to see. Note, the missing "From:", the
> presence of "Posted:" and "Article-I.D.:" Clear as the light of day.
> I think we can eliminate the backbone sites involved (ucbvax, cbatt,
> clyde) which neatly leaves the problem on strictly Canadian soil, at
> either the U of Waterloo, or the U of Toronto.

I can shorten the list a good deal further, because the article has a
"From:" line here.  (It also has "Posted:" and "Article-I.D.:" lines...
our inews *is* rather old... but it's not a 2.9 and there's no -DOLD!)
So the problem is at utcsri or utegc, and the Waterloo sys admins can stop
nervously watching for lynch mobs. :-)

> I'm also more than willing to bet that it's not utzoo, despite the fact
> that Henry Spencer is known to be a somewhat subversive character...

Thanks (I think) for the vote of confidence.
--
"We must choose: the stars or	Henry Spencer @ U of Toronto Zoology
the dust.  Which shall it be?"	{allegra,ihnp4,decvax,pyramid}!utzoo!henry