[news.admin] Copyright notices

gmp@rayssd.UUCP (03/27/87)

In article <60400001@gorgo.UUCP> ks@gorgo.UUCP writes:
> (C) Copyright 1987 Kurt F. Sauer.  Permission is granted only to retransmit
> this document by electronic means known as the USENET, and copies may be made
and on and on...

These copyright notices are rapidly becoming absurd.  Who knows
what unexpected restrictions are going to be placed in these
articles.  I think the only safe solution to this problem is to
change rnews to automatically throw away all articles that contain
a copyright notice.  That way, there's no danger of accidentally
violating the copyright.  Maybe we could exempt certain newsgroups
like the sources groups where these notices serve some useful
purpose, but the rest could be trashed with no loss.

--
Greg Paris ............................. gmp@rayssd.RAY.COM (a UUCP domain)
{cci632,cbosgd,gatech,ihnp4,linus,mirror,necntc,uiucdcs,umcp-cs}!rayssd!gmp