[news.admin] Newsgroup Renaming Phase II

grr@cbmvax.UUCP (04/13/87)

In article <43248a@beno.seismo.CSS.GOV> rick@seismo.CSS.GOV (Rick Adams) writes:
>The renaming will take place on the following schedule:
>
>	April 10	Newgroup control messages go out
>	April 15	Newgroup control messages go out again
>	April 22	Posting to new groups may begin
                        ^^^^^^^
>	April 29	Old names are aliased to new names
                                      ^^^^^^^

Well, if this is to be the schedule, why have articles with the new names,
apparently gatewayed through ucbvax started landing in junk already?  Is
somebody there maybe getting overexcited again?

Please, this was one of the problems last time around, with people jumping
the gun and unintentionally causing a lot of pain and confusion...

fair@ucbarpa.Berkeley.EDU.UUCP (04/15/87)

Stuff gatewayed through ucbvax is landing in "junk" on your system
because you haven't gotten the newgroup control messages yet. We
already have, and I saw no reason to wait before shifting the gateway
to the new names.

	keeper of the network news on ucbvax,

	Erik E. Fair	ucbvax!fair	fair@ucbarpa.berkeley.edu

jbuck@epimass.UUCP (04/15/87)

In article <18327@ucbvax.BERKELEY.EDU> fair@ucbarpa.Berkeley.EDU (Erik E. Fair) writes:
>Stuff gatewayed through ucbvax is landing in "junk" on your system
>because you haven't gotten the newgroup control messages yet. We
>already have, and I saw no reason to wait before shifting the gateway
>to the new names.

A schedule was posted giving the dates on which the new groups would
be created, the dates the old groups would be removed, and the dates
that posting would start to the new groups.  I would think that you
should have received it and honored it, Erik.  There's war in heaven;
the net gods are fighting!

--
- Joe Buck    {hplabs,ihnp4,sun,ames}!oliveb!epimass!jbuck
	      seismo!epiwrl!epimass!jbuck  {pesnta,tymix,apple}!epimass!jbuck