[news.admin] Moderation in unmoderation

dpz@paul.RUTGERS.EDU (David P. Zimmerman) (04/17/87)

It seems fairly easy to mung the works like laidbak!tedk did.  Should
it be?  (Thanks to ucbvax!usenet and gatech!spaf for setting things
straight.)

						dpz
--
David P. Zimmerman           rutgers!dpz           dpz@rutgers.edu

larry@kitty.UUCP (04/19/87)

In article <398@john.paul.RUTGERS.EDU>, dpz@paul.RUTGERS.EDU (David P. Zimmerman) writes:
> It seems fairly easy to mung the works like laidbak!tedk did.  Should
> it be?

	Yup; it's that easy if you use control messages.  Personally, I
never use control messages.  I edit the active file, and [rm/mk]dir the
spool directories as required.  I _feel_ better doing it that way instead
of with control messages, because I _know_ the job has been done correctly.
	I think next time I recompile 2.11.X, I'll disable rnews from
doing ANYTHING _locally_ with NON-local control messages which affect the
creation, deletion or change of newsgroups.  I'll still get mail notifcation,
which should be good enough.

<>  Larry Lippman @ Recognition Research Corp., Clarence, New York
<>  UUCP:  {allegra|ames|boulder|decvax|rocksanne|watmath}!sunybcs!kitty!larry
<>  VOICE: 716/688-1231        {hplabs|ihnp4|mtune|seismo|utzoo}!/
<>  FAX:   716/741-9635 {G1,G2,G3 modes}    "Have you hugged your cat today?"