[news.admin] RESULTS OF MISC.JOBS SPLIT POLL

mcb@styx.UUCP (Michael C. Berch) (04/21/87)

On 24 February 1987, in article <21747@styx.UUCP> I wrote:
> This is a formal proposal to split misc.jobs into three newsgroups:
>
> 	misc.jobs.offered	Positions available
> 	misc.jobs.resumes	Resumes and situations wanted
> 	misc.jobs.misc [or]	Discussion of employment, workplaces, etc.
>         misc.jobs.d
>
> The need for the discussion group is obvious; over the last month the
> number of non-position, non-resume articles was more than double the
> number of offers and resumes. In the Old Days, there was a net.jobs.d
> but it was not universally carried.

The last vote was received a couple of weeks ago. Here are the final
totals:

For the split as outlined:	94
Against the split as outlined:	 2

Total votes received:		96

Support for three vs. two groups was stronger than even I had
expected; among those with a preference, "misc.jobs.misc" was
preferred to "misc.jobs.d" for the discussion group.

Therefore, I will officially report this result to the keeper of the
netwide group list with the request that misc.jobs.offered,
misc.jobs.resumes, and misc.jobs.misc be newgrouped, and misc.jobs
phased out.

A list of those ballots I received follows. It is in nominally
alphabetical order, depending on how your mailer does From: lines.
All I did was stripp off "From: " and sort them. If your ballot didn't
reach me, take comfort in the fact that it would not have made much
difference either way.

Expect the new groups to appear shortly.

Michael C. Berch
ARPA: mcb@lll-tis-b.arpa
UUCP: {ames,ihnp4,lll-crg,lll-lcc,mordor}!styx!mcb

-----
The voting roll:

Bill Wohler <wohler@spam.istc.sri.com>
Brenda Rogers <mordor!seismo!harvard.harvard.edu!wanginst!rogers>
Colin Plumb <mordor!seismo!mnetor!watmath!watnot!ccplumb>
David G. Novick <novick%fog@uoregon.CSNET>
David S. Hayes <mordor!seismo!sundc!hqda-ai!merlin>
David Sher  <sher@rochester.arpa>
Denis McKeon <mordor!seismo!charon.unm!galway>
Dragon  <Monica.Cellio@cmu-cs-cad>
George.Wu@VLSI.CS.CMU.EDU
Jack V. Briner <jvb@cs.duke.edu>
Jeff Sargent <ihnp4!pur-ee!h.cc.purdue.edu!aeq>
Judy Delin <mordor!seismo!mcvax!epistemi.ed.ac.uk!judy>
Kai-Fu.Lee@speech2.cs.cmu.edu
Marcia Bednarcyk <ames!hplabs!hpccc!bednarcy>
Peter Wu <pwu@unix.macc.wisc.edu>
Phil Trubey <ihnp4!watmath!watlion!pgtrubey>
Rusty Haddock <haddock%tilde@ti-csl.CSNET>
Steve Rapaport <mordor!seismo!mnetor!watmath!watcgl!sjrapaport>
Tim Ehrhart <ehrhart@spam.istc.sri.com>
ames!acornrc!bob (Bob Weissman)
ames!amdahl!hlj (Hal Jespersen)
ames!felix!dhw68k!david (David H. Wolfskill)
ames!kontron!cramer (Clayton Cramer)
ames!necntc.NEC.COM!jeff (Jeff Janock)
ames!prls!philabs!tg!scott (Scott Barman)
ames!rochester!cmcl2!JEL%PSUVM.BITNET (Jon Loos 814/238-6649)
ames!rochester!moscom!jgp
ames!rutgers!seismo!gould!eunice!jhagen (Jarom Hagen)
ames!scubed!piaget!jc
ames!tolerant!jane (Jane Medefesser)
ames!ut-sally!kamaal (Kamaal Thadani)
cetron@utah-cs.arpa (Edward J Cetron)
coatney@venera.isi.edu
coller@utah-cs.arpa (Lee D. Coller)
ctp@pop.cs.utexas.edu
decwrl!gordan@tc.fluke.com (Gordan Lacey)
der Mouse <mordor!seismo!mnetor!larry.ee.mcgill!mcgill-vision.UUCP!mouse>
felix!edwards (Dave Edwards)
hamilton@Sun.COM (Mary Hamilton, Technical Publications)
han@cgl.ucsf.edu
ihnp4!allegra!jeff
ihnp4!cwruecmp!nitrex!rbl
ihnp4!fortune!fortune!stirling (Patrick Stirling)
ihnp4!lzfmd!rtw
ihnp4!mmm!elisa (Elisa Collins)
ihnp4!p.a.juhl
ihnp4!pollux!killer!larryd1
ihnp4!radha!sanand (Sanand Patel)
ihnp4!rayssd.RAY.COM!hxe (Heather Emanuel)
ihnp4!sfsup!dwd
ihnp4!u1100a!toh
ihnp4!utzoo!sickkids!mark
ilyag%cory.Berkeley.EDU@berkeley.edu (Ilya Goldberg)
jason%mica.Berkeley.EDU@BERKELEY.EDU
johne@CS.UCLA.EDU (John Eickemeyer)
klimbal@ef.ecn.purdue.edu (Philip J Klimbal)
kronfeld%topaz.Berkeley.EDU@BERKELEY.EDU
levin@CS.UCLA.EDU (Stuart Levine)
lll-crg!amdcad!cae780!tektronix.TEK.COM!uw-beaver!ssc-vax!bcsaic!stuart
lll-crg!seismo!sq.com!mnetor!msb (Mark Brader)
lll-lcc!sun!hplabs!csun!cs1!cbcscmst
lll-lcc!sun!wdl1!rion (Rion Cassidy)
lll-lcc!unisoft!jsc (James Carrington)
lll-lcc!vixie!paul (Paul Vixie Esq)
mcb@lll-tis-b.arpa (Michael C. Berch)
melissa@ATHENA.MIT.EDU
mordor!EDDIE.MIT.EDU!rutgers!frog!sc
mordor!rutgers!dcatla!ittfb (Thomas F. Blakely)
mordor!rutgers!seismo!rochester!moscom!noemi
mordor!rutgers!think!mincy
mordor!seismo!cbmvax!devon!paul (Paul Sutcliffe Jr.)
mordor!seismo!decuac.dec.com!avolio (Frederick M. Avolio)
mordor!seismo!enea!kuling!bear (Bjorn Sjoholm)
mordor!seismo!enea!mapper!ksand
mordor!seismo!harvard!maynard.BSW.COM!campbell
mordor!seismo!ihnp4!ihuxe!jgpo
mordor!seismo!iscuva!davids
mordor!seismo!ken (Ken Hogan)
mordor!seismo!maxwell.acc.virginia.edu!zr9b
mordor!seismo!merlin.unm.edu!mcdermot (John McDermott)
mordor!seismo!scubed!sdcsvax!sdcc6.ucsd.edu!loral!ian (Ian Kaplan)
mordor!seismo!scubed!sdcsvax!telesoft!richard (Richard S. Kaufmann @favorite)
mordor!seismo!sun!celeste (Celeste Stokely - Sun Software Support - Mtn View)
mordor!seismo!wucs1!cec2!dws3014 (David William Sanderson)
pade!kailhofe@rsch.wisc.edu
pjs@june.cs.washington.edu (Rocket J. Squirrel)
primer%huma1@harvard.HARVARD.EDU
randolph%cognito@Sun.COM (Randolph)