[news.admin] Interesting bad article header

mcb@styx.UUCP (04/22/87)

In article <867@xanth.UUCP> john@xanth.UUCP (John Owens) writes:
> I'm sure many of you have seen old problem of the From: lines that
> don't end in .UUCP or .ARPA getting .UUCP added along the way, but
> this is an interesting twist that I've seen once or twice in the last
> few months:
>
> [Other header lines deleted. . .]
> From: shaffer@operations.dccs.upenn.edu (Earl Shaffer)
> . . .
> Sender: root@super.upenn.edu.upenn.edu
>
> Here, the From: address is fine, but the Reply-To: field gets the
> .UUCP!  If people along the Path: of this message will let me know
> whether or not it is like this at their site, I'll collect the
> information and notify the appropriate news administrators (and also
> post here).
> --
> John Owens		Old Dominion University - Norfolk, Virginia, USA

This was not added along the way; it can be ascribed to rn and Pnews.
When rn invokes Pnews to post a followup, the template file is based
on the content of the string NEWSHEADER, which is taken from the
environment if present; if not, the default is defined in common.h as
follows:

	/* $Header: common.h,v 4.3.1.4 86/10/31 15:46:09 lwall Exp $
	 [. . .]
	 *
	 */
	[. . .]
	#ifndef NEWSHEADER		/* % */
	#   ifdef CONDSUB
	#	define NEWSHEADER
	"Newsgroups: %(%F=^$?%C:%F)\n
	Subject: %(%S=^$?%\"\n\nSubject: \":Re: %S)\n
	Sender: \n
	"Newsgroups: %F\n
	Subject: Re: %S\nSummary: \n
	Expires: \nReferences: %R\n
	Sender: \n
	#   endif
	#endif

[I have reformatted the lines for readability.]

If you invoke Pnews from the shell, its template is based on
$(rnlib)/Pnews.header, which contains the following:

	[. . .]
	$cat > $tmpart <<EOHeader
	Newsgroups: $ng
	Subject: $title