[news.admin] Network, you say?

dalj@utgpu.UUCP (04/05/87)

If this is a network, howcome there's nobody Japanese on it?

Yes, all,literally ALL, Japanese university people speak English. That's
why they have no difficulty exporting the goods and importing the ideas.

Rumour of the month around the economics department is that 1986 was the
first year in which Japan ran a positive balance of trade in paid-for
information -- songs, patents, licensing, authors' rights, all that good stuff.
So that's the end of the "they just copy from other people" phase....

                         Cheers,
                               -dlj.

guy@gorodish.UUCP (04/13/87)

>If this is a network, howcome there's nobody Japanese on it?

The question is null and void, because there *are* Japanese sites on
USENET.  They don't seem to be prolific posters, at least in the
groups I read, but I have seen postings from them.

ronc@cerebus.UUCP (sysadm) (04/20/87)

In article <1987Apr5.124224.22886@gpu.utcs.toronto.edu> dalj@gpu.utcs.UUCP (David Lloyd-Jones) writes:

>If this is a network, howcome there's nobody Japanese on it?

Our parent company in Japan is indeed on the net.  I don't think they
do much posting, but they certainly read news.

			Ron
--

	Ronald O. Christian (Fujitsu America Inc., San Jose, Calif.)
	seismo!amdahl!fai!cerebus!ronc  -or-   ihnp4!pesnta!fai!cerebus!ronc

	"Down, boy"
			"Woof"

jeff@necntc.UUCP (04/24/87)

In article <94@cerebus.UUCP> ronc@cerebus.UUCP (sysadm) writes:
>In article <1987Apr5.124224.22886@gpu.utcs.toronto.edu> dalj@gpu.utcs.UUCP (David Lloyd-Jones) writes:
>>
>>If this is a network, howcome there's nobody Japanese on it?
>
>Our parent company in Japan is indeed on the net.  I don't think they
>do much posting, but they certainly read news.

I can say the same for NEC - news and email are quite popular in Japan.

Visiting employees (from Japan) enjoy unique learning in different
environments.

Also, students from Japan may be found within most of the major
centers for advanced learning including MIT, Harvard, CMU, etc.

What leads one to the point where they would make a public statement
such as the one above?  Curious...

jj