[news.admin] Having minor trouble with UUCP admin. Please help us.

peter@citcom.UUCP (Peter Klosky) (04/24/87)

xxx
We are trying to set up a uucp connection from a SUN to an
DEC Ultrix vax using phone lines.  The sun calls the vax and logs
in pass the login: and password: prompts, but uucp on the
vax complains "usun sunsite FAILED ( LOGIN VS. MACHINE )"
in the LOGFILE.  Further attempts with -x9 set in the uucico
poll find the remote machine echoing "RLOGIN."   We suspect the
problem is minor, just one of the admin files out of order.

Hope this is the correct newsgroup to discuss UUCP admin issues.
Thanks for the help.  We tried typing "man uucico," but found no
entry on the sun.  Of course, if we had typed "man uucico" on
SCO xenix, there are no manuals at all.
--
Peter Klosky, Citcom Systems (materiel de telecommunications)
seismo!vrdxhq!baskin!citcom!peter

avolio@decuac.dec.com (Frederick M. Avolio) (04/25/87)

In article <12@citcom.UUCP> peter@citcom.UUCP (Peter Klosky) writes:
>We are trying to set up a uucp connection from a SUN to an
>DEC Ultrix vax using phone lines.  The sun calls the vax and logs
>in pass the login: and password: prompts, but uucp on the
>vax complains "usun sunsite FAILED ( LOGIN VS. MACHINE )"
>in the LOGFILE.

On the Ultrix machine (which is the machine doing the rejection),
there is a file /usr/lib/uucp/USERFILE.  Its fields look like this:

remote,	X1	/
local,	X9	/
Uhost,host X1	/usr/spool/uucppublic

This says when someone logs in as Uhost, check to make sure their
system name is "host".  If it is not, reject it.  You can skip this
test by making the hostname field blank, for example

Uhost, X1	/usr/spool/uucppublic

In either case:

	1. Uhost is the same UID as "uucp" (doesnt have to be... is
		here)
	2. The dialin tty is not linked to any other tty.  (Important
		-- see 1.2 release notes.)

So, either leave the hostname part blank or use the hostname that the
sun system is sending.

If this doesnt fix it, send me (via email) sample USERFILE, relevent
parts of /etc/passwd, and an ls -l of the /dev/tty? on which the
system connects.

Fred.

peter@citcom.UUCP (Peter Klosky) (04/27/87)

xxx
Thanks to one and all for the help in setting up uucp.  The problem
was with a USERFILE with incorrect entries.  Again, we never
cease to be amazed at the quality of responses from the net;
perhaps vendors selling unix should require new phone support
people to prove themselves in a trial of fire by the net.
--
Peter Klosky, Citcom Systems (materiel de telecommunications)
seismo!vrdxhq!baskin!citcom!peter  (703) 689-2800 x 235