[news.admin] Sendbatch

joe@auspyr.UUCP (04/24/87)

Can someone modify news2.11 sendbatch (or whatever) to exec:
	uux - remote!rnews remote < batched_articles
instead of
	uux - remote!rnews < batched_articles

Having the "remote" name as part of the command line REALLY helps for
creating rnews-forwarders via non-news sites.

Let me explain...

We have two news systems that aren't connected via UUCP; yet they are
connected by a neutral site that doesn't run the news. Visualize:

	site1 <---> neutral <---> site2

For a while, we were using sendnews/uurec. But it was simply tooooo much
traffic to send one mail message per article! So, what now? Well, we
created an "rnews" execution forwarded that works something like this:

	site 1 batches news to neutral site
	  news/sys file reads "neutral:groups:F:"
	  crontab reads "* * * * sendbatch -c neutral"
	  sendbatch generates "uux neutral!rnews"

	"rnews" on !neutral isn't the standard on, instead, it
	looks at $UU_MACHINE to determine where to send it.
	Eg: if $UU_MACHINE == site1, then exec "uux site2!rnews"
	and visa-versa.

	"rnews" on !site2 is the real mccoy. The paths of posted
	news are a bit miffed, but since both sites run smail, there
	is no problem -- even if the news goes out. (That is, it will
	either go out to another smail site -- no problem; or it
	will go to a non-smail site, in which case, replies will
	still go via our sites which will figure it out -- got that?)

This could be a general solution (it permits both compressed and
batched news to go via non-news sites) IF (and only IF):

	- an argument were specified on the "uux" command generated
	by the sendbatch sequence of commands,
	- OR if uuxqt on bsd/sys iii worked like honey danber uucp;
	honey danber assures that $UU_MACHINE and $UU_USER are set
	to the remote system/user were the "uux" was created; others
	simply use $USER or other things TAKEN FROM THE ENVIROMENT OF
	WHOMEVER STARTED UUXQT!! (yuk and real secure, you know!)

Now, back to the orginal question ... can someone modify sendbatch
(in the near future) to include an argument on the "uux" command line??!!!??!

--
"No matter      Joe Angelo, Sr. Sys. Engineer @ Austec, Inc., San Jose, CA.
where you go,   ARPA: aussjo!joe@lll-tis-b.arpa       PHONE: [408] 279-5533

joe@auspyr.UUCP (04/24/87)

I was drunk when I posted that last message...

rnews.fake@neutral looks like:

	case $UU_MACHINE in
		site1)	routeto=site2;;
		site2)	routeto=site1;;
		*)	exit;;
	esac
	exec uux - $routeto!rnews

--

Okay, now I know it's easy to modify sendbatch to include the
site name in the uux command (see previous article), but will this

--

heiby@mcdchg.UUCP (Ron Heiby) (04/27/87)

In article <4298@auspyr.UUCP> joe@auspyr.UUCP writes:
>Can someone modify news2.11 sendbatch (or whatever) to exec:
>	uux - remote!rnews remote < batched_articles
>instead of
>	uux - remote!rnews < batched_articles

The lines in 2.11 sendbatch that actually do the work are as follows.
The exact lines may differ, depending on your localize.sh configuration.

			(eval $ECHO; eval $CMD $COMP $C7) |
			if test -s /usenet/spool/batch/$rmt.cmd
			then
				/usenet/spool/batch/$rmt.cmd
			else
				uux - -r -gz $rmt!$RNEWS
			fi

This means that if you want to send news to site "bar" via site "foo"
as you describe above, you can create a file in your batch directory
called "bar.cmd" which contains a line something like:
	uux - -r -gz foo!rnews bar

You don't need to modify sendbatch, just use the features it already provides.
--
Ron Heiby, heiby@mcdchg.UUCP	Moderator: comp.newprod & comp.unix
Motorola Microcomputer Division (MCD), Schaumburg, IL