[news.admin] Is this kosher?

kurt@hi.UUCP (Kurt Zeilenga) (05/03/87)

Found in rec.ham-radio.packet:

In article <5691@eddie.MIT.EDU> yossi%TAURUS.BITNET@wiscvm.wisc.edu (Yossi Eilati) writes:
>.\" Copyright (c) 1980 Regents of the University of California.
>.\" All rights reserved.  The Berkeley software License Agreement
>.\" specifies the terms and conditions for redistribution.
>.\"
>.\"    @(#)adb.1       6.1 (Berkeley) 4/29/85

If MIT can get a way with this, do you think I could post the kernal
source and not get sued?

--
	Kurt Zeilenga	 (zeilenga@hc.dspo.gov)
	"So long, Mom,  I'm off to drop the bomb..."

ambar@athena.mit.edu (Jean Marie Diaz) (05/04/87)

In article <5981@hi.UUCP> kurt@hi.UUCP (Kurt Zeilenga) writes:
>Found in rec.ham-radio.packet:
>
>In article <5691@eddie.MIT.EDU> yossi%TAURUS.BITNET@wiscvm.wisc.edu (Yossi Eilati) writes:

[header from Berkeley-copyrighted source deleted]

>If MIT can get away with this, do you think I could post the kernal
>source and not get sued?

I wouldn't bet my account on it.  First of all, it's not MIT "getting
away with this".  The only reason that that message has an eddie.mit.edu
ID is that the ARPANET mailing list it came from is gatewayed to the
USENET at mit-eddie.  The poster, and his real address, is in the
attribution line.

I'm not claiming that it's any better to float copyrighted source around
the ARPANET than around the USENET; I just want mit-eddie kept out of
it...