[news.admin] why doesn't expire work as it should?

tombre@crin.UUCP (05/14/87)

As we have limited space in our spool directory, I want to expire some news
sooner than others. That is :
  - not important news after 3 days (rec, soc). (Happily, we don't get talk)
  - high-traffic newsgroups which nearly nobody here read after 7 days
(all the comp.sys groups at the moment)

The others are supposed to be expired after 15 days :

Here are my crontab entries for doing this :

0 0 * * * /usr/lib/news/expire
30 5 * * * /usr/lib/news/expire -n comp.sys -e 7 -I
0 6 * * * /usr/lib/news/expire -n rec,soc -e 3 -I

Well, it seemed to work, but today I noticed that in comp.sys, there were
many articles as old as one month. I thought something with the cron
commands was garbled, so I ran the expire manually. Some articles were
cleared away, but many remained. I also tried without spaces between e and 7
( ... -e7 -v2 ...) without any change.

Why doesn't expire work properly? We have been running news 2.11 for several
months now. The version of expire.c is 2.46, date 9/19/86, according to a
"strings" on /usr/lib/news/expire.

Somebody knows where the problem lies?

--
--- Karl Tombre @ CRIN (Centre de Recherche en Informatique de Nancy)
EMAIL : tombre@crin.UUCP

amos@instable.UUCP (Amos Shapir) (05/16/87)

I have noticed that when the system is down at midnight on the day
an article should have expired and 'expire' didn't run that night,
that article is not expired the next night, or ever. I run a 'find -mtime +nn'
now and then to locate those which are really old and remove them.
--
	Amos Shapir
National Semiconductor (Israel)

herber@bgsuvax.UUCP (05/18/87)

In article <247@crin.UUCP>, tombre@crin.UUCP writes:

> Well, it seemed to work, but today I noticed that in comp.sys, there were
> many articles as old as one month. I thought something with the cron
> commands was garbled, so I ran the expire manually. Some articles were
> cleared away, but many remained. I also tried without spaces between e and 7
> ( ... -e7 -v2 ...) without any change.
>
> Why doesn't expire work properly? We have been running news 2.11 for several
> months now. The version of expire.c is 2.46, date 9/19/86, according to a
> "strings" on /usr/lib/news/expire.

I've seen the same thing under 2.10.n and have tracked it to the articles
not being listed in /usr/lib/news/history.  The expire program looks there
to find the articles to expire, it doesn't just look in /usr/spool/news/*.
I've gotten in the habit of running an 'expire -r' to rebuild the history
file once a month to insure it is in sync with the actual articles in
/usr/spool/news.  I haven't seen the problem under 2.11 but then again,
I'm still rebuilding my history file once a month yet too.

I never did find out why the articles were being removed prematurely
from the history file or discover if they were being placed there at all.

--

Steve Herber			CSNET herber@bgsu.edu
Sr. Systems Programmer		UUCP  ...!osu-eddie!bgsuvax!herber

jack@csccat.UUCP (Jack Hudler) (05/19/87)

In article <802@instable.UUCP>, amos@instable.UUCP (Amos Shapir) writes:
> I have noticed that when the system is down at midnight on the day
> an article should have expired and 'expire' didn't run that night,
> that article is not expired the next night, or ever. I run a 'find -mtime +nn'
> now and then to locate those which are really old and remove them.
> 	Amos Shapir

I have had the same problem, I use to expire on a 14 day schedule but
reduced it to 7 days and noticed a week later that it did not reduce
my disc space reqirements. Looked in the spool directory and found
1000+ files greater than 7 days old! Not only that but I found a bunch
of bogus file numbers like 56702,23001...etc.

--
See above 	 (214)661-8960

root@killer.UUCP (Admin) (05/20/87)

In article <152@csccat.UUCP>, jack@csccat.UUCP (Jack Hudler) writes:
> In article <802@instable.UUCP>, amos@instable.UUCP (Amos Shapir) writes:
> > I have noticed that when the system is down at midnight on the day
> > an article should have expired and 'expire' didn't run that night,

> I have had the same problem, I use to expire on a 14 day schedule but
> reduced it to 7 days and noticed a week later that it did not reduce
> my disc space reqirements. Looked in the spool directory and found
> 1000+ files greater than 7 days old! Not only that but I found a bunch
> of bogus file numbers like 56702,23001...etc.

  I have also been looking at this and have found a number of articles
with bad dates - ie - Date: 17 Jul 1988. In addition to Expire: dates of
over three years from now, this date seems to do the same - prevents
expire from removing the article. As I do use the -p option, these are
left around until I check for them. When I do find these, I simply
change the date to that of the timestamp and let expire take care of it
as well as the history files.
  Other than this, I have found no real problem with expire. The software
is running at patchlevel 8, 3B2/400, Unix SVR2.0.5.

                                           Charlie Boykin
                             {cuae2,ihnp4}!killer!root