[news.admin] Problem with moderated news handling

allbery@ncoast.UUCP (Brandon S. Allbery) (05/20/87)

The "feature" that causes postings to moderated newsgroups to be mailed to
the moderator but not cross-posted in unmoderated newsgroups can lose.  The
problem arises when something is cross-posted to an internal or local newsgroup
(which is a valid use of cross-posting).

In particular, I have just received an article which is cross-posted to
comp.sources.misc and to unix-pc.sources; the latter doesn't exist around
here.  As a result, I have to weed this header out; and that newsgroup will
never receive the posting.

I cannot come up with a fix short of posting to unmoderated newsgroups at
original posting time; what is to tell the news software that the
"unix-pc.sources" newsgroup doesn't exist on ncoast?  It may be exported to
other systems in the sys file but not outside of the organization or region;
and mail doesn't check the sys file.

++Brando
--
Copyright (C) 1987 Brandon S. Allbery.  Redistribution permitted only if the
	redistributor permits further redistribution.

emigh@ecsvax.UUCP (Ted Emigh) (05/21/87)

In article <2529@ncoast.UUCP> allbery@ncoast.UUCP (Brandon S. Allbery) writes:
>The "feature" that causes postings to moderated newsgroups to be mailed to
>the moderator but not cross-posted in unmoderated newsgroups can lose.  The
>problem arises when something is cross-posted to an internal or local newsgroup
>(which is a valid use of cross-posting).
>
>In particular, I have just received an article which is cross-posted to
>comp.sources.misc and to unix-pc.sources; the latter doesn't exist around
                          ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
As a point of fact, unix-pc.sources is not an internal or local newsgroup,
but rather part of the unix-pc-net.

>here.  As a result, I have to weed this header out; and that newsgroup will
>never receive the posting.

This thing may become even more of a problem as the STARGATE gets going.
As this stage, I feel that the best thing to do is to warn the poster
that there is a problem, and NOT send the posting to either the
moderator or the regular newsgroup.  Of course, what this means
is that the article gets "published" in the unmoderated group now,
and in the moderated group whenever the moderator gets to it  -- now
two articles instead of one.

--
Ted H. Emigh, Departments of Genetics & Statistics, NCSU, Raleigh, NC
uucp:     mcnc!ncsuvx!ncsugn!emigh  or  mcnc!ecsvax!emigh

dplatt@teknowledge-vaxc.ARPA (Dave Platt) (05/21/87)

Posting-Front-End: GNU Emacs 18.41.3 of Tue Apr  7 1987 on teknowledge-vaxc (berkeley-unix)

Yeah, this problem just bit me too.  Yesterday, I posted a message to
comp.unix.wizards, comp.protocols.tcp-ip, and comp.sys.sun.  The
latter is moderated [and digestified!]; the former are neither.  My
posting has now been emailed to the Sun-Spots collection point (via
decvax), and it will presumably return as part of a Sun-Spots digest.
Unfortunately, because comp.sys.sun doesn't redistribute "approved"
articles in their original undigested form, I believe that my article
will _not_ appear in comp.unix.wizards or comp.protocols.tcp-ip.

To make matters a bit worse, I wasn't aware of the presence of this
"feature" (shoulda read the directions more carefully!) and I didn't
think to save a local file-copy of my posting... so I'll have to wait
until the Sun-Spots digest comes out in a week or so and I can copy my
article's text out of the digest and repost it.

Sigh... this behavior seems [to me] to run counter to the "Law of
Least Astonishment".

page@ulowell.cs.ulowell.edu (Bob Page) (05/22/87)

emigh@ecsvax.UUCP (Ted Emigh) wrote in article <3187@ecsvax.UUCP>:
>As this stage, I feel that the best thing to do is to warn the poster
>that there is a problem, and NOT send the posting to either the
>moderator or the regular newsgroup.

NO!  The best thing to do is FIX the software.  First we find all the
moderated groups listed in the Newsgroups: line, and mail separate
copies of the article to each group.  Moderators will see only one
newsgroup - theirs - in the Newsgroups: line.  Then we send what's
left to the unmoderated groups, cross-posted as usual.  The article
ID's would be different for each mailing, which would ensure that
the article made it to all the groups intended.

..Bob
--
Bob Page, U of Lowell CS Dept.   page@ulowell.{uucp,edu,csnet}

merlin@hqda-ai.UUCP (David S. Hayes) (05/22/87)

     I also believe that the software should be changed.  The
present scheme calls for articles to be mailed to the moderator,
who will then post the article to their own newsgroup, and
cross-post to the unmoderated groups.

     This scheme is not fully workable.  Suppose an article is
posted to several different groups, two of which are moderated?
Each moderator gets a copy, and posts the article to all the named
groups.

     Now, there are two different copies of each article floating
around in the unmoderated groups - one from each moderator.
Further, there are two copies in the moderated groups, also.
Remember that the when the moderator posts, the article acquires
an "Approved:" header line.  This will cause the article to be
posted to the moderated groups, instead of being mailed back to
the moderators.

     I think this should be changed.  I *know* the software will
do this sort of thing, and I've still been bitten.  God knows how
users who haven't read the docs have survived...

--
David S. Hayes, The Merlin of Avalon	PhoneNet:  (202) 694-6900
UUCP:  *!seismo!sundc!hqda-ai!merlin	ARPA:  merlin%hqda-ai@seismo.css.gov

fair@ucbarpa.Berkeley.EDU.UUCP (05/26/87)

In article <1302@ulowell.cs.ulowell.edu> page@ulowell.cs.ulowell.edu (Bob Page) writes:
>NO!  The best thing to do is FIX the software.

NO! The best thing to do is force EVERYONE to run NETNEWS!

	:-}

	Erik E. Fair	ucbvax!fair	fair@ucbarpa.berkeley.edu