[news.admin] rn problem with news 2.11

glee@cognos.uucp (Godfrey Lee) (05/29/87)

When news 2.11 came along, it changed the way new newsgroups are created.
Under 2.10, the directory was created with the creation of the new group.
In 2.11, the directory was created with the first article.

It seems that rn (4.1) has trouble with this. If rn sees the new newsgroup
without the new directory, then it does not recognize it as a valid newsgroup,
but it remembers not to ask the user the next time, so even when articles start
to arrive, the user does not get notified.

Does anyone know of a fix for this? We are also waiting for the new version of
rn to come out, but will that solve the problem described above?

Thanks in advance for any help anyone can give on this!
Godfrey Lee, Cognos Incorporated, 3755 Riverside Drive,
Ottawa, Ontario, CANADA  K1G 3N3
(613) 738-1440		decvax!utzoo!dciem!nrcaer!cognos!glee

rlong@felix.UUCP (Roger L. Long) (06/05/87)

In article <819@mouska.UUCP> glee@cognos.uucp (Godfrey Lee) writes:
>It seems that rn (4.1) has trouble with this. If rn sees the new newsgroup
>without the new directory, then it does not recognize it as a valid newsgroup,
>but it remembers not to ask the user the next time, so even when articles start
>to arrive, the user does not get notified.
>
>Does anyone know of a fix for this? We are also waiting for the new version of
>rn to come out, but will that solve the problem described above?

The current version of rn is 4.3.  And there have been patches posted if my
memory serves.
--
	Roger L. Long
	FileNet Corp

dww@stl.stc.co.uk (David Wright) (06/06/87)

In article <819@mouska.UUCP> glee@cognos.uucp (Godfrey Lee) writes:
>In 2.11, the directory was created with the first article.
>It seems that rn (4.1) has trouble with this. If rn sees the new newsgroup
>without the new directory, then it does not recognize it as a valid newsgroup,
>but it remembers not to ask the user the next time, so even when articles start
>to arrive, the user does not get notified.
>Does anyone know of a fix for this?

This news behaviour annoys me too.  Some people suggest that the solution is for
the group creator to follow the new group control message with a posting
giving the group charter, which creates the directory, but I'm told that the
message sometimes arrives ahead of the create so causing even more confusion.
What I do is to create the directory manually every time I get told that a
new group has been created (our system is set to mail News Admin (me) for
such control messages).    When we had a large number of new groups created
recently I edited the mail headers into a script of 'mkdir's.

While this fix works, it is a bit of a bind, and of course it fails if I'm
too busy to fiddle with creating directories before the other users start
to read news.

To the net maintainers:  please fix BOTH news 2.11 to create those
directories, and rn to treat a non-existant directory exactly like an
empty one, in the next issue; then this problem will be solved.
--
Regards,
        David Wright          STL, London Road, Harlow, Essex  CM17 9NA, U.K.

news@riddle.UUCP (06/12/87)

In article <550@acer.stl.stc.co.uk>, dww@stl.stc.co.uk (David Wright) writes:
> In article <819@mouska.UUCP> glee@cognos.uucp (Godfrey Lee) writes:
> >In 2.11, the directory was created with the first article.
> >It seems that rn (4.1) has trouble with this.
>
> What I do is to create the directory manually every time I get told that a
> new group has been created (our system is set to mail News Admin (me) for
> such control messages).    When we had a large number of new groups created
> recently I edited the mail headers into a script of 'mkdir's.

What follows is a shell script I created to do just that.  Sorry.  It's not
bundled up into shar format or anything.  Just cut it out...

:
# chkactdir
#	Script which creates any directories required by the active file, but
#	which do not currently exist.  Works by generating for each group
#	in active the names of all directories required for that group
#	under /usr/spool/news (topmost first) and passing on the names of
#	those which do not exist.  The resulting list is sorted to
#	eliminate duplicates and make sure parent directories are specified
#	ahead of their children.  Mkdir does the rest.
#
# Usage: chkactdir
#	SPOOL and ACTIVE, if set in the environment, override the defaults
#	of /usr/spool/news and /usr/lib/news/active respectively.
#
# 870609 DFD	Created

umask 22
(
	OIFS=$IFS
	while read i junk
	do
		IFS=${IFS}.
		set $i
		IFS=$OIFS
		dir=${SPOOL-/usr/spool/news}
		for j
		do
			dir=$dir/$j
			if [ ! -d $dir ]
			then
				echo $dir
			fi
		done
	done
) < ${ACTIVE-/usr/lib/news/active} | sort -u | xargs mkdir 2> /dev/null

That's it.

Dominic Dunlop   UKnet: domo@sphinx.co.uk