[news.admin] Problems getting map articles added to Batch file for uuhosts

herber@bgsuvax.UUCP (Steve Herber) (06/16/87)

I haven't been able to get the filenames of uucp map articles appended
to the Batch file when they are received so that the uuhosts database
is updated automaticly.  The line I am using in the /usr/lib/news/sys
file is;

maps:comp.mail.maps:F:/usr/local/lib/news/maps/comp.mail.maps/Batch

I have tried creating the file and having it owned by news without success.
I HAVE been able to create a simular line to test the listing of articles
posted to local.test that works.

temp:local.test:F:/usr/local/lib/news/maps/mod.map.uucp/Test

I don't know what the difference is though in these two examples.

Any ideas????

Thanks in advance.

--

Steve Herber			CSNET herber@bgsu.edu
Sr. Systems Programmer		UUCP  ...!osu-eddie!bgsuvax!herber

john@xanth.UUCP (06/17/87)

I was just going to reply to this with mail, but if one person doesn't
know, there are probably others.

In article <1129@bgsuvax.UUCP>, herber@bgsuvax.UUCP (Steve Herber) writes:
> maps:comp.mail.maps:F:/usr/local/lib/news/maps/comp.mail.maps/Batch

For an article to go to a "site" named in the sys file, two conditions
at least one of the newsgroups in the article must match the patterns
in the sys line, *and* so must the distribution.  The distribution on
the maps is world, so you need:

maps:comp.mail.maps,world:F:/usr/local/lib/news/maps/comp.mail.maps/Batch

If any map postings (like updates) go around with na or usa distributions or
something, just add those to the maps line as well.

--
John Owens		Old Dominion University - Norfolk, Virginia, USA
john@ODU.EDU		old arpa: john%odu.edu@RELAY.CS.NET

rabbit@psivax.UUCP (06/17/87)

In article <1129@bgsuvax.UUCP> herber@bgsuvax.UUCP (Steve Herber) writes:
>I haven't been able to get the filenames of uucp map articles appended
>to the Batch file when they are received so that the uuhosts database
>is updated automaticly.  The line I am using in the /usr/lib/news/sys
>file is;
>
>maps:comp.mail.maps:F:/usr/local/lib/news/maps/comp.mail.maps/Batch

I had this problem too.  And only got it to work after talking to
another friend.  You need to add "world" in the news group list.  Try:

maps:world,comp.mail.maps:F:/usr/local/lib/news/maps/comp.mail.maps/Batch

Joe
--
Joe Kwan
Systems Analyst