[news.admin] Null/Feed/Carry

merlin@hqda-ai.UUCP (David S. Hayes) (07/10/87)

In article <604@nonvon.UUCP>, mc68020@nonvon.UUCP (root) writes:
> I think the news software should offer a site newsadmin several
> levels of options in handling newsgroups (examples:)
>
>    NULL     don't carry it, won' forward it
>    FEED     don't carry it for local readers, but WILL forward it
>    CARRY    carry it for local readers AND will forward it
>
>    Isn't all that difficult to cobble up now, is it?

     This can already be done with news 2.11, sort of.  Accept the
group as part of your incoming feed, and pass it on to your
downstream sites.  Run expire on it frequently, though:

     % expire -i -e 1 -n net.feed-only

     Of course, there is the possibility that some downstream site
may not pick up an article before expire terminates it.  Oh well,
no scheme is perfect.  If your communications are reasonably
reliable, though, this should work.  If you want to be sure,
change the expiration time to "-e 2".
--
David S. Hayes, The Merlin of Avalon	PhoneNet:  (202) 694-6900
UUCP:  *!seismo!sundc!hqda-ai!merlin	ARPA:  merlin%hqda-ai@seismo.css.gov