[news.admin] Answers to many of the `Re: The Requested ...' messages

webber@aramis.rutgers.edu (Bob Webber) (07/10/87)

First I would like to thank allbery@ncoast.UUCP (Brandon Allbery),
mjl@tropix.UUCP (Mike Lutz), dovich@ge-dab.UUCP (Steven J. Dovich),
reid@decwrl.DEC.COM (Brian Reid), and lou@hoxna.UUCP ( L. Marco ) for
their news postings critical of my quota proposal (or related issues)
and even more so thank the people who mailed to me criticisms of the quota
proposal.  I will send personalized replies to the mail messages, but all
of you have addressed some closely related issues to which I will outline
herein why I do not feel they are over-riding objections.  I would also
like to anonymously thank the person who sent me a message explaining how the
system could be implemented under the current version of news without
re-coding (at the moment I certainly wouldn't want to brand them by
indicating that they were the person that took the wind out of the sails
of the `implement it first' people).

Of course, most of you are aware that I am not proposing a parallel news
system, but rather an alternative way for individual sites to handle the
current problems (both quota and news.group name restrictions could coexist).
Some of you are also aware that when I speak of communications bandwidth,
I am referring just as much to limitations on the cpu's at the ends of the
wires (such as disk space) as I am to the communication hardware that the
computer views as a peripheral.  Practically everyone has realized that both
the quota system and the moderator system claim to solve the same problems
with regards to resources dedicated to news.  The question seems to rest with
the fact that these two approaches yield very different environments for news
to continue under.  What I will address below is why I feel that the
environment created by quota is to be preferred to that created by moderation
(even `good' non-censoring moderation).

It seems to me that people who have been proposing moderation have been using
as their vision of news some kind of online library where people go to get
reliable information.  While this is a worthy goal, I find it completely
alien to what the news system has been about for the last 5 years or so.
First I should introduce myself, I am a reader of news.  I have been reading
news off and on for the past 5 years and yet prior to the moderation
discussion, my postings have never generated any but the smallest of reply
streams (incidently, I am quite happy with this and look forward to it once
this topic has passed).  Hence, I am much more a `reader' than a `poster.'

When I ask myself what is the essence of Usenet, I say that it is direct
unfiltered communication between a very large number of people (most of whom
have above average educations and experience with computers).  Reading the
soc, talk, and rec groups, you will realize just how varied the people on
the comp and sci groups are (many people contribute in both sections).  In
my opinion, placing a filter on news (which is what both the moderators and
the people who use group names as a basis for deciding what to get are doing)
is completely unwanted.  I use a news reader that notifies me of subject
lines and authors of all messages and I am quite happy to pick and choose
what messages I read on the basis of this information (and the experience I
have built up from doing this).

Of course, it is claimed that the filter will raise `quality' and remove
redundancy.  This is exactly what I do not want.  When I go to an expert
on computer monitors and ask them what is the best monitor for displaying
CAD work, they will tell me their opinion.  When I go to the net and ask
this same question, I see not only their opinion, but how other people
react to that opinion and whether or not and to what degree other people
share that opinion.  Although a moderator might feel quite justified in simply
saying that here is a typical message and 20 other people said basically
the same thing, I would actually want to read them.  The same thing applies
to other topics in the sci, soc, misc, news, and talk groups.  This is
something that only net news has been able to reliably handle because of
the size and type of user community it has attracted and because the postings
are completely unfiltered.  (Although this may appear to address only the
redundancy issue, I believe it also addresses the quality issue).

Some people have indicated that they strongly feel that it is in their
company's best interest to subscribe to certain technical groups, but
not the other nontechnical groups.  This is difficult to evaluate.  When I see
a posting to a newsgroup that says ``Please mail replies, I do not read this
group,'' I figure there is someone who is attempting to benefit from the group
as if it were some kind of library.  However, if someone is actually tracking
a group, then that person would probably also be interested in other postings
by the same people on other subjects (both technical and nontechnical) in
order to get a context within which to evaluate the opinion that is being
offered to that group.  So assuming that a company has employees that have
the time to process the net, I think there is some true benefit to getting
the whole thing.  In most cases, I suspect that people would be better off
purchasing better documentation, hiring qualified consultants, and buying
source licenses, than trying to use the net solely as a `library.'

I personally think that people have overvalued the usefulness of sources
and binaries that are over 64k (current net message size limit) and usually
aimed at some specific application.  My proposal did not say that one couldn't
use uucp to move such items around, only that this should be separated from
the function of news.  I am particularly distressed by the posting of binaries.
Although I can understand how for a few months after a computer comes out
this might be the only reliable way to distribute code, non-optimizing
C compilers for standard architectures (such as 68000s, 6502s, and 8088s)
just aren't that hard to write.  Access to the source of compilers is not
that difficult to come by, besides the Gnu C implementation, I have also
seen books containing full source to P-Code pascal compilers.  While these
may not be everyone's idea of `good' languages, they have certainly been
sufficient for people running on `larger' machines (when was the last time
you saw a SunIII binary or Pyramid binary posted to the net?).  So it is
really just a matter of a small portion of a user-community that is clearly
doing alot of coding deciding to sit down and port a compiler.

Some people have felt dismay that under the quota system they will miss
messages from certain `experts,' since the quota system will inevitably
loose messages (unless it should magically turn out that there really
is enough bandwidth to support news unchanged, which is something we will
probably never know if the net goes moderated and technology improves).
I can only say that that is true.  The implementation of the quota system
is the turning point at which we must decide whether we want to build a
futuristic interactive library or we want to continue to provide the
traditional netnews service of unfiltered access to a broad range of opinion.
I hope people will realize the worth of the latter.  I think there are
plenty of other people already working on the former, and so it is not
necessary to convert netnews over to that task.

Finally, let me indicate that I often benefit from `incorrect' comments
that have sometimes been posted to the net.  The reason is because they
have sometimes motivated me to think about why they are incorrect and
why someone would say them and have thus lead to some thoughts that I have
enjoyed (and which I have occasionally shared with the net).

--------- BOB (webber@aramis.rutgers.edu ; rutgers!aramis.rutgers.edu!webber)

eric@hippo.UUCP (Eric Bergan) (07/14/87)

In article <1006@aramis.rutgers.edu>, webber@aramis.rutgers.edu (Bob Webber) writes:
> It seems to me that people who have been proposing moderation have been using
> as their vision of news some kind of online library where people go to get
> reliable information.  While this is a worthy goal, I find it completely
> alien to what the news system has been about for the last 5 years or so.
> [...]
> When I ask myself what is the essence of Usenet, I say that it is direct
> unfiltered communication between a very large number of people (most of whom
> have above average educations and experience with computers).

	Its not clear to me that your vision of the use of usenet is shared
by the majority of the people on the network. I certainly view usenet as
much more of a library or distributed bulletin board than a "town hall forum"
for carrying on conversations.

	Its definitely true that moderation favors the former model, and
quota systems favor the latter system. But I think that the network as
a whole will have to decide which model they prefer. This may be extremely
difficult to judge, since such a small fraction of readers of the news
ever post anything.

	The rest of your posting is primarily defense for your position
that moderation is not an effective control of resources, given your view
of what the network should be. I agree, no question that moderation will
tend to dampen the kind of interaction you are looking for. On the other
hand, quota systems will dampen the kind of interaction that I am looking
for - namely that questions be answered, but only once - rather than
9000 postings of dictionaries of different "face" symbols possible under
ASCII character sets. Who is to say which of us has the right to impose
their model on the other? I think the answer is that neither of us, deciding
on our own, has the right to impose on the other. The net as a whole needs
to decide. Those that are unhappy with the decision will have to either
live with it, or form an alternative mechanism for the kind of model
they are seeking.

> In most cases, I suspect that people would be better off
> purchasing better documentation, hiring qualified consultants, and buying
> source licenses, than trying to use the net solely as a `library.'

	I don't think this is necessarily the case. When I request
information from the network, it tends to be for small "snippets" that
really aren't available in any other form. Examples would be finding
out other users experiences with a given product, or how to get system
x to work with system y, etc. There may not be better documentation, it
may not be worth hiring a consultant (who may not know the answer, either),
and it may not be solvable from source (when's the last time you saw source
code for the firmware in the LaserWriter offered?).

--

					eric
					...!ptsfa!hippo!eric

allbery@ncoast.UUCP (Brandon Allbery) (07/17/87)

As quoted from <1006@aramis.rutgers.edu> by webber@aramis.rutgers.edu (Bob Webber):
+---------------
| the function of news.  I am particularly distressed by the posting of binaries.
| Although I can understand how for a few months after a computer comes out
| this might be the only reliable way to distribute code, non-optimizing
| C compilers for standard architectures (such as 68000s, 6502s, and 8088s)
| just aren't that hard to write.  Access to the source of compilers is not
| that difficult to come by, besides the Gnu C implementation, I have also
| seen books containing full source to P-Code pascal compilers.  While these
+---------------

Heh, heh, heh.

News for you.  The Amsterdam Compiler Kit costs $1000 plus.  Gnu C will not
run on small machines, as it's designed for VM architectures.  And, I have
*used* that P-code Pascal book (THE BYTE BOOK OF PASCAL, for those inter-
ested); if you think its execution speed is acceptable, I challenge you to
use a PD spreadsheet "compiled" under it.

"Just sit down and write a compiler"???  Look at the Minix compiler some
day (better yet, compile something with it -- bring a copy of THE LORD OF THE
RINGS with you, you'll have read it twice through before it finishes compiling
a modest-sized program; and _that's_ based on the ACK!).  Look at how long it
has taken Borland to come out with Turbo C (it's been "in progress" ever
since Turbo Pascal came out), look at how long it took Microsoft to get
their C compiler bug-free enough to be worth using.  It is NOT easy to
write compilers THAT WORK ON SMALL MACHINES.  And such compilers are rarely
cheap enough for the people who BUY small machines -- if I could afford
Microsoft C in my software budget, I could afford an Altos box in my
hardware budget.  And -- your large machines COME with C compilers.  This
is not and never willbe true of MS-DOS boxes, and probably won't be true
of OS/2 boxes if and when.

I'm sorry, but judging small computers by large-computer standards is bogus.
"Let them use sources" is rather like "Let them eat cake", and is just as
incendiary to the computer-variety peasant.
--
[Copyright 1987 Brandon S. Allbery, all rights reserved] \ ncoast 216 781 6201
[Redistributable only if redistribution is subsequently permitted.] \ 2400 bd.