[news.admin] posting to moderated local groups

pac@munsell.UUCP (Paul Czarnecki) (08/12/87)

How does one construct the mailpaths file so that a local moderated
group is possible?  The "how to construct a mailpaths" document hints
that this is possible.

	"The keyword field consists of either the word "internet", the
	 word "backbone", or some newsgroup pattern."

This is what our mailpaths file looks like (to.munsell.m is a
moderated group):

backbone        adelie!harvard!seismo!%s
internet        adelie!%s
to.munsell.m    munsell!usenet

I tried replacing the .'s with -'s but that did not help.  Postings
are still queued for ..!seismo!to-munsell-m.  (They do not leave the
site, I stop them.)

We are running 2.11 (patchlevel 1) news on with SunOS 3.2.

Thank you.

                                        pZ
--
			       Paul Czarnecki -- My newsfeed's in Esperanto
	{{harvard,ll-xn}!adelie,{decvax,allegra,talcott}!encore}!munsell!pz

mlandau@bbn.com (Matt Landau) (08/12/87)

In news.admin (<1174@pinney.munsell.UUCP>), pac@munsell.UUCP () writes:
>How does one construct the mailpaths file so that a local moderated
>group is possible?  The "how to construct a mailpaths" document hints
>that this is possible.

The trick (which may not be documented - I got it my mail from Rick
Adams) is to put entries that describe local newsgroups BEFORE the
backbone entry in mailpaths.  In effect, think of news as scanning
the mailpaths file linearly and stopping at the first match.  The
backbone entry acts as a wildcard to catch anything that makes it
through that far.  Ergo, you need to put local stuff first.  Here's
the mailpaths file from diamond.bbn.com, which works fine (except
that the backbone entry should probably be changed to UUNET.UU.NET
at this point):

    bbn.bboard      bboard@bbn.com
    bbn.food        food@bbn.com
    bbn.library     library@bbn.com
    bbn.movies      movies@bbn.com
    bbn.dave-barry  dave-barry@bbn.com
    bbn.local-sun   local-sun@bbn.com
    bbn.x-windows   bbn-xwindows@bbn.com
    bbn.4bsd        bbn4bsd@bbn.com
    xport           xport@athena.mit.edu
    backbone        %s@seismo.css.gov
    internet        %s
--
 Matt Landau			A rock feels no pain...
 mlandau@bbn.com		    ...and an island never cries.

rick@seismo.CSS.GOV (Rick Adams) (08/12/87)

In article <1174@pinney.munsell.UUCP>, pac@munsell.UUCP (Paul Czarnecki) writes:
> This is what our mailpaths file looks like (to.munsell.m is a
> moderated group):
>
> backbone        adelie!harvard!seismo!%s
> internet        adelie!%s
> to.munsell.m    munsell!usenet
>
> I tried replacing the .'s with -'s but that did not help.  Postings
> are still queued for ..!seismo!to-munsell-m.  (They do not leave the
> site, I stop them.)

The '.' should be replaced with '-'. However, the problem is that
inews is scanning forward looking for the FIRST match. Since "backbone"
is a wild card that matches anything it will never scan place that.

If you put the line:
	to-munsell-m	munsell!usenet
BEFORE the line containing "backbone", it will match that one first.

---rick

In article <1174@pinney.munsell.UUCP> pac@munsell.UUCP () writes:
>How does one construct the mailpaths file so that a local moderated
>group is possible?

>backbone        adelie!harvard!seismo!%s
>internet        adelie!%s
>to.munsell.m    munsell!usenet

The solution is to put the "to.munsell.m" before the others.  Thanks
to pyramid!csg (Carl S. Gutekunst) for the quick solution.

					pZ
--
			       Paul Czarnecki -- My newsfeed's in Esperanto
	{{harvard,ll-xn}!adelie,{decvax,allegra,talcott}!encore}!munsell!pz

ron@chp.UUCP (08/18/87)

Breaker braker...

Just thought I'd say hello.
How many cities and countries are acknowledging this greeting?
And any individuals, a simple 'hi' will do.  That's all for now.

                                --  Rono