[news.admin] Of Matt and Gene and Berkeley

webber@brandx.rutgers.edu (Webber) (09/13/87)

In article <1218@cartan.Berkeley.EDU>, gsmith@oreo (Gene Ward Smith) writes:
> lawsuits.  This is no joke, I am afraid. Matthew Wiener is gone
> to Philadelphia in high dudgeon, his math/stat accounts (but not
> violet.berkeley.edu) terminated with extreme prejudice. Even I,
> his long-time office-mate and partner in crime do not know the
> whole story, but the rumor is ...

You are right that if what you suspect is true is true, then it is
``no joke.''  However, as pure rumour and in the absence of any
message from Matt (although you claim he still has an account), I
hardly see where further discussion is merited at this time.  When you
have the facts of the case and know how the person involved wants it
handled, please let us know.

People who are truly interested in defending free speech know that
speech that is being suppressed is usually offensive speach, since if
no one was offended, no one would care enough to try to suppress it.
If Berkeley has suppressed Matt's contact with the net, they may or
may not have done anything ``illegal'' and they may or may not have
taken away all of his avenues of speech, but ultimately, if they have
limited the number of opinions available for consideration by the
readers of the net, then they have done the only thing that is
unequivocably evil vis a vis the reality of the net.  Those
institutions who continue to pass news to such institutions are
accomplices.

But first, let us find out what really happened.

----- BOB (webber@aramis.rutgers.edu ; rutgers!aramis.rutgers.edu!webber)