[news.admin] ra.slug - sorry!

z@rocksanne.UUCP (Jim Ziobro) (10/07/87)

While attempting to create ra.slug a local newsgroup for symbolics lisp
users I inadvertently sent the newgroup message around the world.  If
you don't get the ra.* groups (from rochester) then ignore it.

In my defense let me say that I tried to use "inews -C" to create the
newsgroup but our version of news (2.10.3) does not allow that anymore.
I tried to outwit this witless software and now I am at wits end...

Also thanks to everyone who pointed out my mistake even the lone flamer from
Australia.

//Z\\
Jim Ziobro
rocksanne!z
ziobro.henr801c@xerox.com (for arpanauts)

david@ms.uky.edu (David Herron -- Resident E-mail Hack) (10/08/87)

In article <398@rocksanne.UUCP> z@rocksanne.UUCP (Jim Ziobro) writes:
>In my defense let me say that I tried to use "inews -C" to create the
>newsgroup but our version of news (2.10.3) does not allow that anymore.
>I tried to outwit this witless software and now I am at wits end...

You don't have to outwit the witless software, you just have to
read it and see what it's doing.  It only takes 20 or 30 readings
of the sources before it starts making sense ... :-)

Anyway, here's the command line I use for making newsgroups here:

	inews -a david@ms.uky.edu -d ky -C newsgroup </dev/null

Because it now wants Approved: headers in messages before they'll
be recognized as valid newgroup's.  The "ky" distribution goes only
to Kentucky sites.  (Please, if you see a ky.* or ukfa.* or uk.*
article please tell me about it and send me the article so I can
know how it leaked out ... oh, and if you're in England and are
getting uk.* groups it's ok ... y'all also have a uk.something
distribution).

--
<---- David Herron,  Local E-Mail Hack,  david@ms.uky.edu, david@ms.uky.csnet
<----                    {rutgers,uunet,cbosgd}!ukma!david, david@UKMA.BITNET

jane@tolerant.UUCP (Jane Medefesser) (10/08/87)

In article <398@rocksanne.UUCP>, z@rocksanne.UUCP (Jim Ziobro) writes:
> While attempting to create ra.slug a local newsgroup for symbolics lisp
> users I inadvertently sent the newgroup message around the world.

Gee - and *I* thought it had something to do with slimey garden pests!! ;-) ;-)

Hey, no sweat.

--
* Not me, baby - I'm too precious * <-- ( it's only rock & roll..)

Jane Medefesser		uucp: {pyramid,mordor,oliveb,sci}!tolerant!jane
Tolerant Systems 	tele: +1 408 433 5588

honey@umix.cc.umich.edu (Peter Honeyman) (10/09/87)

dunno, z, if this were april, i'd be real suspicious.

	peter