[news.admin] Lawsuit Nonsense Historical Note

gsmith@GARNET.BERKELEY.EDU (Gene W. Smith) (10/09/87)

In article <21748@lll-tis.arpa> mcb@lll-tis.arpa (Michael C. Berch) writes:
>In article <21140@ucbvax.BERKELEY.EDU> jwl@ernie.Berkeley.EDU.UUCP
>(James Wilbur Lewis) writes:

>This cort of case seems to come up every years or so.
>The first time I came across Matthew Wiener was some time back when he
>wanted to sue Rich Rosen for defamation, and I posted a couple of articles
>to try to get him (and others who were beginning to get hot under the collar)
>to cool down.

  This is not quite correct. Matthew Wiener was taking a dig at
Rich Rosen, which consisted of trying to find if he would have
grounds if he wanted to sue--which he had no intention of doing.
At least that is how I remember the incident, and I am the
closest thing to an expert on Wienerology left on the net.

ucbvax!garnet!gsmith    Gene Ward Smith/Garnetgangster/Berkeley CA 94720
"We never make assertions,  Miss Taggart,"  said Hugh Akston.  "That is
the moral crime peculiar to our enemies.  We do not tell--we *show*.  We
do not claim--we *prove*." H Akston, the last of the advocates of reason