[news.admin] sendbatch broken after patches 9 & 10

rick@seismo.CSS.GOV (Rick Adams) (10/12/87)

I screwed up the diffs in patch 10 resulting in to obvious errors.

The call to "error()" in expire shoulod be xerror.

There is a missing '-a' in the sendbatch line.

	while test $? -eq 0 -a \( \( -n "$testit" -a -s BATCHDIR/$rmt \) -o -s BATCHDIR/$rmt.work -o  \( -n "$DOIHAVE" -a -s BATCHDIR/$rmt.ihave \) \)

This will be fixed in the next patch. If you're wondering about these its
because this time around I put too much trust in the fixes people sent me
and a few of them were wrong. (Actually they were more incomplete  than
anything else

--rick

davew@gvgpsa.UUCP (David White) (10/13/87)

In article <465@acornrc.UUCP> bob@acornrc.UUCP (Bob Weissman) writes:
>The sendbatch script fails after patches 9 & 10 are installed on my
>4.2bsd system.  The failing line is
>	while test $? -eq 0 -a \( \( -n "$testit" -s /usr/spool/batch/$rmt \) -o -s /usr/spool/batch/$rmt.work -o  \( -n "$DOIHAVE" -a -s /usr/spool/batch/$rmt.ihave \) \)
>Which provokes the error message
>	"test: ) expected"
>This is strange, since I see balanced parentheses, don't you?

I experienced the same thing under Ultrix 2.0-1 on a uVAX II.  I
thought it was just me, so I went back to patchlevel 8 since I didn't
have time to really dig into it.  It looked right to me too.  Any
suggestions?
Dave White		Grass Valley Group, Inc.
P.O. Box 1114   	Grass Valley, CA  95945
UUCP:	...!tektronix!gvgpsa!davew	PHONE:	+1 916 478 3052

nerd@percival.UUCP (Michael Galassi) (10/14/87)

In article <630@gvgpsa.UUCP> davew@gvgpsa.UUCP (David White) writes:
>In article <465@acornrc.UUCP> bob@acornrc.UUCP (Bob Weissman) writes:
>>The sendbatch script fails after patches 9 & 10 are installed on my
>>4.2bsd system.  The failing line is
>>	while test $? -eq 0 -a \( \( -n "$testit" -s /usr/spool/batch/$rmt \) -o -s /usr/spool/batch/$rmt.work -o  \( -n "$DOIHAVE" -a -s /usr/spool/batch/$rmt.ihave \) \)
>>Which provokes the error message
>>	"test: ) expected"
>>This is strange, since I see balanced parentheses, don't you?
>
>I experienced the same thing under Ultrix 2.0-1 on a uVAX II.  I
>thought it was just me, so I went back to patchlevel 8 since I didn't
>have time to really dig into it.  It looked right to me too.  Any
>suggestions?

I have split this line up for the sake of mailers and all that don't
care for long lines.  The pointed to part is the adition needed to
make the test work correctly.  By the way, it was patch 10 which
broke things, they were ok before that.  You can also run the old
version of sendbatch with the remainder of news 2.11 at level 10
with no problems.

while test $? -eq 0 -a \( \( -n "$testit"  -a -s /usr/spool/batch/$rmt
                                           ^^^
\) -o -s /usr/spool/batch/$rmt.work -o  \( -n "$DOIHAVE" -a -s
/usr/spool/batch/$rmt.ihave \) \)

The -a (and) was missing, add this and things go smoothly.  I resent
the error message that sh(1) passed back but that is another problem
and is un-related.  I'll have to go to the sources and check on that
much as I resent looking at sh(1)'s source, it is awfull!

-michael
--
If my employer knew my opinions he would probably look for another engineer.

	Michael Galassi, Frye Electronics, Tigard, OR
		...!tektronix!reed!percival!nerd