[news.admin] Some real performance data on the new Telebit modems

rick@seismo.CSS.GOV (Rick Adams) (10/14/87)

I have been doing some testing with the newest Telebit modems with the
newest firmware (supports uucp protocols and LZ compression between modems).
Note this is the new "gate-array" based hardware platform which has
only been shiping for a few weeks.

The results have been very impressive. Following is an excerpt from the
log file of a few uucp sessions between uunet (in Washington DC) and
telebit (in Cupertino, CA) over normal ATT long distance lines.

Received data seems to be limited by the Systech board in the Sequent.
We could never get it to take data faster than about 8500 bps. However,
sending is another story...

--rick

p.s. note that the number is Characters per second, not Bits per second

ordinary ascii text file with lots of repetition - LZ compression in modem
	 telebit (10/13-16:32-8751) sent data 98718 bytes 60.63 secs 1628 cps
/bin/csh - LZ compression in modem
	 telebit (10/13-16:36-8837) sent data 73728 bytes 50.82 secs 1450 cps
LZ compressed news batch - LZ compression in modem
	 telebit (10/13-16:39-8915) sent data 50955 bytes 49.70 secs 1025 cps
LZ compressed news batch - no compression in modem
	 telebit (10/13-16:45-8984) sent data 50955 bytes 38.44 secs 1325 cps

pete@octopus.UUCP (Pete Holzmann) (10/14/87)

In article <44163@beno.seismo.CSS.GOV> rick@seismo.CSS.GOV (Rick Adams) writes:
>I have been doing some testing with the newest Telebit modems with the
>newest firmware (supports uucp protocols and LZ compression between modems).
>
>The results have been very impressive.
>LZ compressed news batch - no compression in modem
>	 telebit (10/13-16:45-8984) sent data 50955 bytes 38.44 secs 1325 cps

We've been helping a group test the 3.0 modems (no LZ compression yet) on
a *terrible* link between the USA and Quito, Ecuador. The line is so bad
you can barely hear. The modems couldn't hear each other either until they
added a small amplifier (20 dB!) to each end. This is normal dialup. Once
the amps were added, the modems connect every time, all the time, getting
6300-6400 bit-per-sec throughput. I'd say this is easily a worst-case scenario.

The only connection worse than this is trying to call Venezuela. Usually, you
can't make the connection because the phone system down there can't put the
call through. Unfortunately, Telebit hasn't solved *that* one yet! :-)

Pete

--
  OOO   __| ___      Peter Holzmann, Octopus Enterprises
 OOOOOOO___/ _______ USPS: 19611 La Mar Court, Cupertino, CA 95014