[news.admin] Periodic repostings

kyle@xanth.UUCP (Kyle Jones) (10/17/87)

[ This has turned into an issue for news admins, so followup to
  news.admin please. ]

In article <1139@gilsys.UUCP>, mc68020@gilsys.UUCP (Thomas J Keller) writes:
> In article <37@ateng.UUCP>, chip@ateng.UUCP (Chip Salzenberg) writes:
> > 	1.  Should useful programs constantly be reposted?
> > 		My opinion:  Usually not.  (At least arbitron is small.)
>     1)  so new sites on the net that don't know about important, useful
> 	software can just go without, right?  All this archival is wonderful,
> 	but in many cases, the material needed, assuming the site admin
> 	KNOWS it's needed, is not readily available from a net neighbor.

Tom's right, but we still shouldn't flood the net with the same old
software and maps every month because of this.

A paper needs to be written that tells the administrators of new
USENET sites about the software and other things they need to get.
This paper should also tell them where they can get these things.
Most of this information is scattered about in various newsgroups, but
it needs to be organized into a single reference.  This paper could be
posted to news.announce.newusers with a suitably long expiration date,
and reposted whenever the information in it is updated.

Comments?

kyle jones  <kyle@odu.edu>  old dominion university, norfolk, va  usa