[news.admin] Administering a News system part time

dave@arnold.UUCP (Dave Arnold) (10/20/87)

Our company is dragging an under used CT Megaframe out of the closest, and
going to run it as a dedicated news system :-)

Since I am the one who suggested this, I have been appointed the job of
administrating it.  Also, I have been asked by upper management to
prepare a proposal detailing how much time each week I plan to spend on
this (I am a software engineer with projects and deadlines).  I am not sure
how much time WILL be required, so I thought I could pose this question to
the experienced.

Like I said, the hardware will be a Convergent Technologies Megaframe running
CTIX, with about 80meg of disk space (probably 20-40meg free), and a 1200 baud
modem, a telebit trailblazer looks good for the future.  There are about 100
employee's who will be potential News readers/posters, most of them
programmers.

I recognize the following duties:

1.	Create shell accounts as needed.
2.	Provide Netnews user documentation as needed.
3.	Provide technical support (Hey Dave, how do I send mail to somebody
	on DEC's Easynet?).
4.	Monitor nightly newsfeeds, make sure everything ran smoothly, enough
	disk space, etc.
5.	Fix problems with network/terminal servers to News system.
6.	Review UUNET bill.

That's about all I can think of.  I have no idea how much time all of this
is going to take, but I'll take a stab at about 2 hours a day?

I would appreciate hearing from you old-timer USENET adminstator's, the
full-timer's and the part-timer's, and hear your experiences/job demands.

Thank you in advance.

Dave Arnold

--
Name:		Dave Arnold
USmail:		26561 Fresno, Mission Viejo, Ca, 92691 USA

jane@tolerant.UUCP (Jane Medefesser) (10/20/87)

In article <273@arnold.UUCP>, dave@arnold.UUCP (Dave Arnold) writes:
> I recognize the following duties:
>
> 1.	Create shell accounts as needed.
> 2.	Provide Netnews user documentation as needed.
> 3.	Provide technical support (Hey Dave, how do I send mail to somebody
> 	on DEC's Easynet?).
> 4.	Monitor nightly newsfeeds, make sure everything ran smoothly, enough
> 	disk space, etc.
> 5.	Fix problems with network/terminal servers to News system.
> 6.	Review UUNET bill.
>
> That's about all I can think of.  I have no idea how much time all of this
> is going to take, but I'll take a stab at about 2 hours a day?

I administer the news at Tolerant part-time. Your guess is essentially
correct. 2 hours a day should take care of everything you listed above.
Actually, that's a pretty generous stab.  The routine administration
generally takes me about a half hour every morning. (monitoring disk usage,
ensuring all the cron jobs ran exit 0, etc.)   The nice thing about
administering the news part-time, is that if you get really swamped at the
office, you can set yourself up with a terminal & modem at home and do some
of the nit-picky stuff from home.

I think our installation is about average. We have 2 full feeds, one of
which runs ihave/sendme. We have 1 full downstream site.  We have local
exchanges with about 4 other sites. Assuming that everything is installed
correctly (THAT may take you some time...), once it gets running, it isn't
terribly time consuming at all. (just news, that is!! Full time
administration is another story!!!).

FYI- my *real* job here is Software QA. QA is not terribly demanding - it's
very flexible. I usually am able to drop whatever I'm doing to stomp out
fires, then pick up where I left off. And, I am able to do A LOT from home
when the need arrises. The two jobs compliment each other rather nicely.

(*real* jobs are what you get paid for!!)

david@ms.uky.edu (David Herron -- Resident E-mail Hack) (10/20/87)

In article <273@arnold.UUCP> dave@arnold.UUCP (Dave Arnold) writes:
>Like I said, the hardware will be a Convergent Technologies Megaframe running
>CTIX, with about 80meg of disk space (probably 20-40meg free), and a 1200 baud
>modem, a telebit trailblazer looks good for the future.  There are about 100
>employee's who will be potential News readers/posters, most of them
>programmers.

20-40 free megs is rather slim ... Unless this machine is just going
to be a buffer between your internal machines and the rest of the world.
(i.e. people don't READ news on this system, they read it on some other
system ... this CTIX box can then run with a 1 week expire and be happy).

We generally have 20-40 megs tied up here with news articles ...

>I recognize the following duties:
>1.	Create shell accounts as needed.
>2.	Provide Netnews user documentation as needed.
>3.	Provide technical support (Hey Dave, how do I send mail to somebody
>	on DEC's Easynet?).
 [This is easy nowadays ... the gateways there rewrite the headers to
  say user@host.dec.com ... then you just get an intelligent mailer
  that knows the path for a gateway to dec.com and it happens automatically].
>4.	Monitor nightly newsfeeds, make sure everything ran smoothly, enough
>	disk space, etc.
>5.	Fix problems with network/terminal servers to News system.
>6.	Review UUNET bill.
 [Weeell... there isn't much on the UUNET bill to review ... it'd be nice
  if they put out a listing of the calls you'd made, or possibly just
  the large ones (or non-prime-time) ones ... but then that's not a
  proper subject for here ... :-) ]

hmmm ...  You're putting E-Mail duties in there too.

I work SOLEY as news/mail support for 20 hrs/week.  The job has grown
to the point where I now have a helper who I'm training ... This in
a University where it's real hard to hire people to begin with, and
in a support group which is fairly understaffed anyway.  So we have
30 hrs/week (10 of which is a trainee remember) of work supporting
our news/mail system and we're NOWHERE NEAR to catching up with what
needs to be done.

But then I've got a real complicated system here.  Links to BITNET,
Internet, UUCP and news being exchanged over all 3 networks.  Different
exchange methods used on all the 3 networks.  Mail going across all
3 networks has different little idiosyncracies.  Each of the subsystems
I manage is as-large-or-larger than the kernal, and I have to make
non-trivial changes sometimes just to get the subsystems to work.

Your 16 hrs/week guess is a pretty good guess.  Especially if you're
new at administrating news/etc.
--
<---- David Herron,  Local E-Mail Hack,  david@ms.uky.edu, david@ms.uky.csnet
<----                    {rutgers,uunet,cbosgd}!ukma!david, david@UKMA.BITNET

scott@helium.UUCP (Scott Hazen Mueller) (10/21/87)

In article <273@arnold.UUCP> dave@arnold.UUCP (Dave Arnold) writes:
>Like I said, the hardware will be a Convergent Technologies Megaframe running
>CTIX, with about 80meg of disk space (probably 20-40meg free), and a 1200 baud

Well, I run in even tighter space, so I can throw in a couple of relevant
comments.  Your biggest day-to-day consideration is going to be disk space.
If you feed anyone else, you need to be *very* careful about your space - it
may be fine for your own use, but once/day compressed batches can really mess
things up.

>I recognize the following duties:
>
>4.	Monitor nightly newsfeeds, make sure everything ran smoothly, enough
>	disk space, etc.

Probably the most important thing.  Most days, I don't even care what the
numbers are.  If you can get the Watcher program that was recently posted,
get it and use it.  I use it to monitor both total free space and the space
used by the news directory tree.

I actually don't *specifically* monitor the news feeds, but I do read news
first thing in the morning, and so I'm aware that way of the news status.

>That's about all I can think of.  I have no idea how much time all of this
>is going to take, but I'll take a stab at about 2 hours a day?

On the two little systems that I run, 2 hours/day would more than cover
*everything* - running news, installing patches, maintaining the pathalias
database, etc.  If you don't already, you'll want to read comp.sources.unix
and news.*, which will tend to smooth out your time usage.

>Dave Arnold
               \scott
--
Scott Hazen Mueller   City of Turlock    901 S. Walnut Rd.  Turlock CA 95380
(209) 668-5590        lll-crg!csustan!helium!scott   uunet!zorch!helium!scott

rbl@nitrex.UUCP ( Dr. Robin Lake ) (10/21/87)

In article <7540@e.ms.uky.edu> david@ms.uky.edu (David Herron -- Resident E-mail Hack) writes:
>In article <273@arnold.UUCP> dave@arnold.UUCP (Dave Arnold) writes:
>>Like I said, the hardware will be a Convergent Technologies Megaframe running
>>CTIX, with about 80meg of disk space (probably 20-40meg free), and a 1200 baud
>>modem, a telebit trailblazer looks good for the future.  There are about 100
>>employee's who will be potential News readers/posters, most of them
>>programmers.

We've got about 12 users on a MegaFrame with CTIX and about the same disk space.
With a newsfeed that is often irregular, most of the administrator's time
is solving the problems incurred when running out of disk space due to the
volume of incoming news.  Yes, we're getting more disks, but that is another
story....

If your newsfeed goes down, if your users tend to save a lot of interesting
source or binhex'ed articles, if you ever really run a lot of data on the
machine  ---  you better have a node to uucp archived or cpio'ed files onto!

--
Rob Lake
{decvax,ihnp4!cbosgd}!mandrill!nitrex!rbl

wcs@ho95e.ATT.COM (Bill.Stewart) (10/23/87)

In article <273@arnold.UUCP> dave@arnold.UUCP (Dave Arnold) writes:
>Like I said, the hardware will be a Convergent Technologies Megaframe
>running CTIX, with about 80meg of disk space (probably 20-40meg free)
>and a 1200 baud modem.
	I spend less than 2 hours per week on news, but we have
	administrators who keep uucp happy and worry about disk space.
	Most of the time is in periodic hack attacks, when a new
	version comes out or when I update the pathalias maps.

UUCP:	We run Honey Danber UUCP from AT&T, which is *much* more
	reliable than old-uucp.  We don't run sendmail, so we lose the
	functionality but also the headaches.  Most of our uucp traffic
	comes over an AT&T Datakit packet network, which also makes
	uucp much cleaner.

Disk:	Get an extra disk!  The reduction in workload will more than
	pay for your time.  Remember that 24 MB/week will fill up disk
	fast, and your users will also want space.
	Make sure you use the same disk for news and /usr/spool.
	We take the approach that news is nice but expendable; if the
	disk fills up and I don't clean it up the other administrators
	expire stuff brutally.  If the disk gets corrupted, news
	articles generally won't get restored; only libraries.
	- Keep an archive of comp.sources.* and any other groups that
	are relevant to your work, and make sure the users know about it.
	This will reduce the effect of all 100 users saving nethack and
	compiling it themselves.  It's worth backing it up on tape
	periodically, since you probably can't keep it on disk for too long.
--
#				Thanks;
# Bill Stewart, AT&T Bell Labs 2G218, Holmdel NJ 1-201-949-0705 ihnp4!ho95c!wcs

rob@philabs.Philips.Com (Rob Robertson) (10/23/87)

In article <273@arnold.UUCP> dave@arnold.UUCP (Dave Arnold) writes:
>Like I said, the hardware will be a Convergent Technologies Megaframe running
>CTIX, with about 80meg of disk space (probably 20-40meg free), and a 1200 baud
>modem, a telebit trailblazer looks good for the future.  There are about 100
>employee's who will be potential News readers/posters, most of them
>programmers.

it don't take that much time.  5 hours a week tops.  i manage news
here at philabs.  3 separate machines, with a user community of about
200.  if you've got everything automated and know what you're doing
(AND HAVE GOOD HARDWARE AND MODEMS), it's cake.

20-40 meg of disk ain't bad for a leaf site if its all reserved for
transient news (ie it's in the spool directory, not the stuff the
users have saved).

we've got about 120 meg on our spool partition.  we feed 14 sites,
plus zillions of mail connections (the mail directory is
/usr/spool/mail on bsd), and expire news after 14 days.  we rarely
break 60% capacity.

things that add to your time:

	an unreliable news feed.  if the machine feeding you goes down
	for a week expect to swallow 3 weeks of news two weeks after
	it comes up.

	feeding unreliable sites.  at philabs that's one of the
	reasons we don't connect to home computers.  if a disk goes
	out on a pc, it can be weeks before it's fixed.  if it's a
	production machine (with the possible exception of the the
	world's largest computer company) it's up within days.

the point being if you automate most of it with script, have good hard
and software, and have a good news feed, you shouldn't have to spend
much time at it.

users are a different question.....

good luck,

rob
--
				william robertson
				rob@philabs.philips.com

				"better living through shell scripts"

zeeff@b-tech.UUCP (Jon Zeeff) (10/26/87)

I been running news on a system with limited disk space for quite awhile.
Some things I have done to automate news maintenance:

1) An expire script is used that keeps expiring news until there is a certain
   amount of space free.  A fixed period like 14 days is not used.

2) Outgoing news is limited to n MB/day.  This prevents some
   of my neighbors from being swamped when things get backed up.

3) News is spooled "on the fly".  A daemon process keeps checking the amount of
   news spooled and only spools more when it goes below a certain level.

4) There is a daemon that cuts off incoming uucp transfers when disk space
   falls below a certain level.  News/uucp doesn't seem to handle
   no space very well.

The combination of all these things makes it pretty hassle free.

--
Jon Zeeff           		Branch Technology,
uunet!umix!b-tech!zeeff  	zeeff%b-tech.uucp@umix.cc.umich.edu

rwhite@nusdhub.UUCP (Robert C. White Jr.) (10/27/87)

In article <3805@b-tech.UUCP>, zeeff@b-tech.UUCP (Jon Zeeff) writes:
> I been running news on a system with limited disk space for quite awhile.
> Some things I have done to automate news maintenance:
> 2) Outgoing news is limited to n MB/day.  This prevents some
>    of my neighbors from being swamped when things get backed up.
> 3) News is spooled "on the fly".  A daemon process keeps checking the amount of
>    news spooled and only spools more when it goes below a certain level.

I have a unique solution for you... Make a file [like /usr/lib/news/makesp]
with the following contents:

/usr/lib/news/sendbatch -c ${UU_MACHINE:?'Bad Machine Name'}

NOTE: UU_MACHINE may be called something else durring uuxqt on your machine.

The person who wants their mail "uux"es the makesp on your system,
waits a few minutes, and then calls back with some measealy request
[if necessary] the program they run to pickup mail is something
like:
if uux not outstanding
	uux -s/usr/lib/news/LCK..sysname "sysname!makesp"
if uux result positive
	sleep [some few minutes]
	/usr/lib/uucp/uucico -r sysname

With this type of "mail pickup" script no spooling ever takes place for
a system that is not responding.  The remote site has to "request"
their feed every time.  The only standing disk usage is the "batch"
file.  Sleeping sites don't eat any disk space.

I didn't include particualrs because this will vary site to site
and remember that this is two connects, not one, but the savings are
good for expensive hops.

Rob.