[news.admin] should missing articles get reposted? moderated articles get numbered?

kraut@ut-ngp.UUCP (10/29/87)

personally, I think it would be a good idea if all articles in moderated groups
were sequentially numbered so that one could easily tell if something was
missing;  ...moderated groups do have some useful aspects ...((-:

Is it possible to repost such an article without it getting propagated to
all the sites that have seen it already?  how?
--
kraut@ngp.utexas.edu

dave@lsuc.UUCP (11/03/87)

In article <6648@ut-ngp.UUCP> kraut@ut-ngp.UUCP writes:

>Is it possible to repost such an article without it getting propagated to
>all the sites that have seen it already?  how?

Well, if there's a particular chunk of the net which didn't get
it, and you have any way of identifying that chunk (e.g., from the
flood of complaining mail messages), then you can mail the article,
complete with Message-ID: header, to a site in that corner of the
net and have it fed to rnews there.  Then it will propagate around
the sites in that area until it hits the sites which already have it.

uunet is probably well-enough connected that it could set up an
automated way of achieving this, if Rick is interested. A user
on a site connected to uunet could request an article from a moderated
group, based on article and issue number, and uunet would simply
uux it to requesting-site!rnews.

David Sherman
The Law Society of Upper Canada
Toronto
--
{ uunet!mnetor  pyramid!utai  decvax!utcsri  ihnp4!utzoo } !lsuc!dave
Pronounce it ell-ess-you-see, please...

rick@seismo.CSS.GOV (Rick Adams) (11/04/87)

A site connected to uunet can retrieve an article by using the "sendme"
control message. This has been function in 2.X news for years. There is
no special code required.

Anyone can mail to uunet!rnews and have an article posted. If fact some
sites have already figured that out, even though they are not connected.

Mailing to site!rnews works at lots of places includig (I believe) ucbvax.

--rick