[news.admin] Harlan Ellison transcription

rick@uwmacc.UUCP (the absurdist) (11/03/87)

Background:

Karen Williams, a rec.arts.comics reader, wrote to Harlan Ellison
asking for permission to post a transcription of a tape of a
speech he recently made.  Harlan sent back a reply saying he'd
like to see a copy of the transcript first, and that he wanted
to take things one step at a time.  So far, everything civil.
Then Karen passed this information on to the net, and many
people suggested ignoring Ellison's wishes in the matter, and
just posting it right now.

Rich Salz raises one issue as follows:
In article <231@papaya.bbn.com> rsalz@bbn.com (Rich Salz) writes:
>Under what legal grounds is it necessary to ask Harlan Ellison for his
>permission before someone posts a transcription?  I could see why someone
>might want to be nice to a talented, litigous sonuvagon, but what could
>be illegal about posting a copy of words said in a public forum?

This isn't a flame at Rich, who is asking a valid question that
is appropriate to his tasks as moderator of a newsgroup, and who
DID NOT say that the correct answer was to post without permission.

From a NON-legal standpoint, hasn't anyone ever heard of common
courtesy?  I am annoyed at the number of people who posted
"post it anyway, he can't stop you".  They are ignoring the
legal issues (many performance arts involve public forums, but
just try to tape a rock concert and distribute that without
permission...deadheads excepted, of course).  They are also
ignoring an effort to be polite to someone who has no access
to this net to find out what's being done with his work.

The netiquette document doesn't currently address this, but
probably should, from both the legal and the courtesy angles.
Perhaps the results of Rich's survey will help.

This has been moved to news.admin as somewhat more appropriate to
my message -- followups should NOT go to rec.arts.comics.  Send LEGAL
issue comments to Rich (he's taking a mail poll/will summarize).
--
Rick Keir -- all the oysters have moved away -- UWisc - Madison
"Watch the skies...."

moriarty@tc.fluke.COM (The Napoleon of Crime) (11/08/87)

As a side note, I thought I should point out that the person who taped
Harlan's speech last summer has no intention of transcribing it -- more from
reluctance to write the whole damned thing up than from getting involved in
a mess with M. Ellison.  This has only been an issue due to several of the
requisite annoyance posters who seem to be assigned to each newsgroup (read:
Nick Flor) for the sole purpose of taunting anyone within range; in this
case, they are nagging the fellow who taped the thing to post it, with
accusations that (paraphrased) "you're not doing it so that you can suck up
to Harlan".  I mean, really...

So, to quote Douglas Adams: Don't Panic.

                           "Everyone is entitled to an *informed* opinion."
                                            -- Harlan Ellison

                                        Moriarty, aka Jeff Meyer
INTERNET:     moriarty@tc.fluke.COM
Manual UUCP:  {uw-beaver, sun, allegra, hplsla, lbl-csam}!fluke!moriarty
CREDO:        You gotta be Cruel to be Kind...