[net.unix-wizards] C on Apple 2e

yi@wisdom.BITNET (Jacob Itzikowitz) (10/14/86)

Would appreciate any information on the availability of a C compiler
or interpreter on an Apple 2e microcomputer. Thank You.
Yaakov Itzikowitz
System & Site Manager

doug@catuc.UUCP (doug) (10/15/86)

In article <8610141553.AA14535@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU>, yi@wisdom.BITNET (Jacob Itzikowitz) writes:
> Would appreciate any information on the availability of a C compiler
> or interpreter on an Apple 2e microcomputer. Thank You.

I have personally used a compiler from Manx Software Systems for the last
few years. Their Number is 800-221-0440. My experiences are that it is
fairly bug-free now and is quite close to K&R C. The compiler is very
slow as you might expect on an 8-bit machine. The code it produces is
very fast but often large. (Printf is about 8k) It compiles to native
6502 code (fast but large) or a pseudo-code that is interpreted (small
but slow). These may be mixed to achieve speed/size tradeoffs. The source
to all libraries except floating point math is included, as well as a
shell that imitates some of the UNIX tools. I recommend a hard disk drive
for devolopment due to the large size of the programs. Two floppies is the
minimum but is EXTREMELY slow due to swapping of the disks. PRODOS and DOS
3.3 versions are available. My experience extends only to the DOS 3.3
version. Look at any recent issue of BYTE for their ad.

Doug Morse

..!arizona!catuc!doug

U. S. Mail
1600 N Country Club
Tucson, Az 85716

p40001@mcomp.UUCP (10/18/86)

> Would appreciate any information on the availability of a C compiler
> or interpreter on an Apple 2e microcomputer. Thank You.
> Yaakov Itzikowitz
> System & Site Manager

There are basically two complete compilers available:

1. Aztec C from Manx -- both DOS 3.3 and ProDOS versions. Cost
   ca. $300 for the professional package.

2. HyperC from WSM Group -- ProDOS only.

Both of these are basically K & R with the most common extensions.
I do not have the addresses of the publishers handy, but both advertise
every month in NIBBLE and A+ magazines, so you just go to your nearest
computer/book store and look it up in either of these magazines.

In addition, the publishers of the ORCA assembler package (ByteWorks?) offer a
souped-up Small-C compiler based on Ron Cain's compiler published
in Dr. Dobb's Journal.
Wolf N. Paul, 290 Dogwood, Plano, Tx. 75075
UUCP:  ihnp4!convex!mcomp!doulos!wnp
  or   ihnp4!convex!mcomp!p40001
Phone: (214) 578-8023  W.U.ESL: 6283-2882