[news.admin] Private networks and 1st amendments

brad@looking.UUCP (11/23/87)

This has been said before, but it seems to need saying again.  This is
a privately controlled network.  Bills of rights, such as the 1st amendment
to the US Constitution do not apply here.

I own a machine.  I let my employees and some friends read news on it.
Don't even think for one second that I don't have every right to revoke
that ability at any time for any reason.   I can't terminate employment
for any reason, but I and any other system adminstrator can control access
to our computers as we wish.

Both our charter of rights and the your constitution forbid religious
persecution, for example.  But I still have the right to stop somebody from
using my machine to post pro-Christian articles.  And other machine owners
have the right to forbid articles about "pot-smoking jews."

So don't bring constitutional rights into this.  The freedom to control your
own truly private property is paramount in this case, and shall not be
abridged.

Now don't get me wrong.  I'll fully defend anybody's right to say anything
loathesome on public streets, on their own machine or with their own press.
I even opposed the Zundel laws, which would allow Mr. Mading to be
prosecuted for his general derogatory remark about Jews.  But none of that
matters of truly private property, and that's what a restricted access computer
is.
--
Brad Templeton, Looking Glass Software Ltd. - Waterloo, Ontario 519/884-7473

webber@brandx.rutgers.edu (Webber) (11/24/87)

In article <1151@looking.UUCP>, brad@looking.UUCP (Brad Templeton) writes:
> This has been said before, but it seems to need saying again.  This is
> a privately controlled network.  Bills of rights, such as the 1st amendment
> to the US Constitution do not apply here.

Clearly it is wrong to say this is a ``privately controlled'' network.
Individual sites in the network may be ``privately controlled'' (although
many are government (local, state, and fed -- educational and military)),
but it is hard to think of the network as controlled at all, much less
privately controlled.

> Both our charter of rights and the your constitution forbid religious
> persecution, for example.  But I still have the right to stop somebody from
> using my machine to post pro-Christian articles.  And other machine owners
> have the right to forbid articles about "pot-smoking jews."

Hmmm.  You mention that you are the employer of some of the users of
your machine.  I am not sure if it is true in your case, but let us
consider a person running on a machine that is owned by the company
for which they work -- so that it can reasonably be viewed as part of
the work environment.  Assume everyone in the office has Hanukkah
decorations up except one person who wants to put up a small cross.
Do you think that has an employer you could successfully prevent this
should it be taken to court?

Although I am not a lawyer, I suspect that the only way you could
prevent the person from putting up the cross would be to issue a
general edict forbidding religious decorations (i.e., forbidding the
Hanukkah decorations as well).  Certainly in the United States, there
seems to be an under-riding notion of ``equal'' treatment of all
employees.  So, I suspect that you would have difficulty (at least in
the United States) with the notion of forbidding generic pro-Christian
postings.  While abusive/offensive postings would probably be more
easily controlled, there would probably still be some notion of
sufficient ``due process'' that would probably make it easier (in a
large company) to disconnect rather than isolate specific users.

Clearly, by firing a person, a company puts itself in a position where
it can deny access to its computers and hence the net via that site.
And clearly many people would opt for losing net access rather than
being fired.  However, if the grounds are insufficient for firing, it
is not clear that they would be sufficient for denying net access in a
situation where net access is viewed as part of the normal work
environment.

--------- BOB (webber@athos.rutgers.edu ; rutgers!athos.rutgers.edu!webber)

sl@van-bc.UUCP (Stuart Lynne) (11/24/87)

In article <1151@looking.UUCP> brad@looking.UUCP (Brad Templeton) writes:
>This has been said before, but it seems to need saying again.  This is
>a privately controlled network.  Bills of rights, such as the 1st amendment
>to the US Constitution do not apply here.
>
>I own a machine.  I let my employees and some friends read news on it.
>Don't even think for one second that I don't have every right to revoke
>that ability at any time for any reason.   I can't terminate employment
>for any reason, but I and any other system adminstrator can control access
>to our computers as we wish.

I'm not so sure that what the net is becoming is something a bit different
from anything we've seen before. While the above comparison to property
rights in general may have been valid in the past it may not continue to be
so. Remember we live in a constantly evolving society. Good or bad, peoples
perceptions and expectations continually change and many times laws (both
legislative and judge made) change to conform. An excellent example is the
relaxation of pornography laws in North America over the last 50 years.

In the case of the net the is a new perception (by some people) that people
are indeed participating in a forum that is unrestricted except by *their*
own values.  In other words they are actually implementing their *right* to
free speech.

While this may not be to comfortable a position for some system
administrators who might like to choke off certain people (often I must
admit with *excellent* reasons, I'd do the same) we must look at the
possibility that we might not always have the *right* to restrict them in
this fashion.

There are many examples that show that our society has attempted to make it
easier for less well off individuals to indulge in free speech at the
expense of large organizations who could afford it. Letters to the editor,
equal time spots on TV, etc.

While I don't support this view I think there is some merit to it. Remember
no one is forcing you to make your machine available on the net either to
send or receive. But I think that if you are participating, you can't
prevent or restrain others from doing so via your system. It's not too much
different if you kick them off your system or try and filter out their
articles as they pass through your site, it's still censorship.

Of course as a system administrator I am also still very worried about my
position if someone at my site post's something that could be viewed as
slanderous, or perhaps as hate literature. Could I be held accountable? I
would prefer to think that I'm not. What difference is there if the user
post's it originally on my system, or via my system from a personal
computer running a mini news system, or if my system simply passes it
through as another anonymous forwarder. If I kicked the person of he could
probably find somewhere else to get access.

It really is a matter of defining better what positions the owners and
administrators of the machines that constitute the net *are* responsible and
getting that definition accepted by society and eventually the courts. The
two extremes are that the owners and administrators are totally responsible
but also have the right to censor or that they are not responsible but don't
have that right. I don't think that we will get the option to be able to
have complete control (other than withdrawal from the net) and be have the
right to censor articles.

At what point would we be required to *start* censoring articles. For
example if someone created alt.hategroup on uunet and started posting
articles the automated news software on my machine would quite happily start
forwarding it to other sites in BC. Could I be held responsible? Well if I
have the right to censor articles, I probably also have the *duty* to do so.
And would then be responsible for the distribution of those articles.

As a person of limited time and energy I would prefer to not have the
*right* and *duty* to censor other peoples articles. In fact I think it
would prove to be impossible. If the consensur of societies opinion ever
reached that point I think it would be impossible to continue to forward
news to anyone. You simply couldn't effectively filter it for problem
articles. But if society expects that *individuals* have the right to free
speech and that the owners and system adminstrators do not have the right or
ability to censor articles that problem disappears.

--
{ihnp4!alberta!ubc-vision,uunet}!van-bc!Stuart.Lynne Vancouver,BC,604-937-7532

robert@uop.EDU ( ) (11/28/87)

one must be moral, to be ethical.

you can do what you want at your site, but you still are governed
by the constitution.

this does not become an issue, unless you do.

steve@edm.UUCP (Stephen Samuel) (11/30/87)

In article <1561@van-bc.UUCP>, sl@van-bc.UUCP (Stuart Lynne) writes:
> In article <1151@looking.UUCP> brad@looking.UUCP (Brad Templeton) writes:
> >This has been said before, but it seems to need saying again.  This is
> >a privately controlled network.  Bills of rights, such as the 1st amendment
> >for any reason, but I and any other system adminstrator can control access
> >to our computers as we wish.

> possibility that we might not always have the *right* to restrict them in
> this fashion.

> prevent or restrain others from doing so via your system. It's not too much
> different if you kick them off your system or try and filter out their
> articles as they pass through your site, it's still censorship.
> through as another anonymous forwarder. If I kicked the person of he could
> probably find somewhere else to get access.
 I think that we have two slightly different points here:
One is censorship and the other is access to machines.
 While I would refuse (simply on the grounds of the time requirement) to even
TRY to filter the volume of stuff that goes thru my system, I would not have
any quams about throwing somebody of a system I administrated for
consistently posting garbage to the net. If, at this point, he gets a machine
somewhere doen the line from me then I would basically consider the situation
to be out of my hands unless it got bad enough to cut the entire feed. (along
with anybody else on that feed). Needless to say, I would consider action like
that to be something of a last resort.

  What it comes down to is that while I feel that I do not have the right to
censor anybody's articles, I DO reserve the right to cut a feed if there is
good enough cause (whether that feed is a machine or a person). This is a
self-limiting posture, because if you get a feed far enough away from me, I will have the choice of letting your message
thru or cutting off most, if not all of the net.

  If I decide to make my system a hermit, that's my own problem.

 No matter what the case I would always consider cutting a feed to be a
matter of last resort.
--
 Stephen Samuel