>From uucp Fri Nov 20 05:10 EST 1987
>From uucp Fri Nov 20 04:02 EST 1987 remote from pedsga
>From uucp Fri Nov 20 03:59:30 1987 remote from petsd
>From oz.ai.mit.edu!mit-eddie!@EDDIE.MIT.EDU:Mailer  Fri Nov 20 02:49:01 1987 remote from rutgers
Date: Thu 19 Nov 87 15:36:17-EST
>From: The Mailer Daemon <rutgers!oz.ai.mit.edu!Mailer>
To: ihnp4!homxb!mtuxo!mtune!petsd!pedsgo!pedsga!tsdiag!tom@eddie.mit.edu
Subject: Message of 18-Nov-87 15:12:48

Message undelivered after 1 day -- will try for another 2 days:
GZT.TDF@OZ.AI.MIT.EDU.#Chaos: Disk quota exceeded
	    ------------
From: ihnp4!homxb!mtuxo!mtune!petsd!pedsgo!pedsga!tsdiag!tom@eddie.mit.edu
Date: 13 Nov 87 15:40:35 GMT
To: PACKET-RADIO@EDDIE.MIT.EDU
Subject: Re: Level 3 protocols - some info?

-------
Thanks...
Thomas A. Moulton, W2VY          Life is too short to be mad about things.
Home: (201) 779-W2VY             Packet: w2vy@kd6th  Voice: 145.190 (r)
Work: (201) 492-4880 x3226       FAX:  (201) 493-9167
Concurrent Computer Corp.        uucp: ...!ihnp4!hotps!ka2qhd!w2vy

--

romkey@kaos.UUCP (John Romkey) (11/27/87)

In article <140@tsdiag.UUCP> tom@tsdiag.UUCP writes:
>What is the problem with Chaosnet?
>
>Message undelivered after 1 day -- will try for another 2 days:
>GZT.TDF@OZ.AI.MIT.EDU.#Chaos: Disk quota exceeded

This is just a problem with GZT.TDF's account on a machine at MIT called
OZ. OZ doesn't speak TCP/IP; it speaks Chaosnet. The message is saying
that GZT.TDF's disk quota is all used up...probably because he hasn't
logged in since Sunday, September 6.
--
			- john romkey
		...mit-eddie!blblbl!kaos!romkey

jso@edison.GE.COM (John Owens) (11/28/87)

In article <140@tsdiag.UUCP>, tom@tsdiag.UUCP writes:
> What is the problem with Chaosnet?
> Any ideas when/if it will be fixed?
> -------------------------------------
> Message undelivered after 1 day -- will try for another 2 days:
> GZT.TDF@OZ.AI.MIT.EDU.#Chaos: Disk quota exceeded

On many systems, mail is delivered to users in files in their own
directories, charged to their quotas.  When the user is over quota,
the mail can't be delivered.  I'd be willing to bet that this is the
problem here, and that it's TDF's problem, not the system's.  (You
might want to ask the postmaster to let him know that he's over quota,
though....)

tom@tsdiag.UUCP (11/30/87)

Fine, I take it they are just a small subnet.  I guess if they fed a large
part of the net they would have been fixed by now...
Thanks

--
Thomas A. Moulton, W2VY          Life is too short to be mad about things.
Home: (201) 779-W2VY             Packet: w2vy@kd6th  Voice: 145.190 (r)
Work: (201) 492-4880 x3226       FAX:  (201) 493-9167
Concurrent Computer Corp.        uucp: ...!ihnp4!hotps!ka2qhd!w2vy

fair@ucbarpa.Berkeley.EDU.UUCP (11/30/87)

There are two problems here:

1. rec.ham-radio.packet is gatewayed to an ARPANET mailing list
	improperly, that is, the gatewayer's software doesn't hack
	the headers so that the people on USENET don't get errors
	from the mailing list. Errors from a mailing list should
	be going to the mailing list administrator, not to some
	powerless USENET reader. The particular error in question
	is certainly grounds to delete that mailbox from the list,
	if the list admin ever finds out about it...

2. TOPS-20's mailer has an incredible piece of brain-damage in it:
	it will tell you every 24 hours (until timeout) about a
	piece of mail that it can't deliver. I say, "deliver it,
	or bounce it, but SHUT UP, dammit!"

The solution in this case is to bitch at the parties responsible for
the gatewaying. If they fix their software, you need never see an
error from ARPANET again.

Of course, if you think that ARPANET is bad, you should see the crap
I've been getting from BITNET's LISTSERV distribution system...

	Erik E. Fair	ucbvax!fair	fair@ucbarpa.berkeley.edu

karl@tut.UUCP (12/01/87)

jso@edison.GE.COM writes:
   > GZT.TDF@OZ.AI.MIT.EDU.#Chaos: Disk quota exceeded
   (You
   might want to ask the postmaster to let him know that he's over quota,
   though....)

the same error messages by the half dozen for a couple of weeks.
Requests for help from postmaster@oz were met with dead air.  I
removed gzt.tdf from the list for the sake of my sanity.
--
Karl