[news.admin] SCO news

mike@sgistl.SGI.COM (Michael Ashburn) (12/05/87)

I have recently come across a version of news put out by SCO as an
unsupported product. There was mention of it on the net in this news
group a while back. It is said to compile and work beautifully under
SCO 2.2.
PROBLEM: I only have SCO 2.1.3 and the compile blows up with warnings
and an out of heap space error. When adding the -LARGE option to the
cc flag which does away with the heap space problem but then I get the
old error 11 'SEGMENTATION VIOLATION'.
QUESTION: Has anybody been able to get sconews or any other news program
to compile successfully under SCO 2.1.3? If so how? I am currently running
rn but it lacks a few things which I consider a nessecity such as a means to
clear out articles older than a cerain number of days (ala expire), a means
of sending and receiving articles in batch mode and the good old uuencode
and uudecode programs. I understand the latter is in the public domain so
that is not so important.

Any help would really be appreciated.
Thanks - Mike

					Michael Ashburn
mike@sgistl.sgi.com
       or
{ucbvax|sun|ames|pyramid|decwrl|ihnp4}!sgi!sgistl!mike

root@ozdaltx.UUCP (root) (12/11/87)

In article <5552@sgistl.SGI.COM>, mike@sgistl.SGI.COM (Michael Ashburn) writes:
> QUESTION: Has anybody been able to get sconews or any other news program
> to compile successfully under SCO 2.1.3? If so how? I am currently running
> Any help would really be appreciated.
> Thanks - Mike

Here is my Makefile for compiling news.  Worked on 2.1.3 and
2.2.x    Good luck

OSTYPE = v7

HOMENAME=

SHELL=/bin/sh

NEWSUSR = news
NEWSGRP = news
SPOOLDIR = /usr/spool/news
BATCHDIR = /usr/spool/batch
LIBDIR = /usr/lib/news
BINDIR = /usr/bin
DESTDIR =
UUXFLAGS = -r

LNRNEWS = ln
DEBUG =
SCCSID = -DSCCSID
DEFS =	-DRNEWS=\"$(BINDIR)/rnews\" -DSPOOLDIR=\"$(SPOOLDIR)\" \
	-DBATCHDIR=\"$(BATCHDIR)\" -DLIBDIR=\"$(LIBDIR)\" \
	-DBINDIR=\"$(BINDIR)\" -DNEWSUSR=\"$(NEWSUSR)\" \
	-DNEWSGRP=\"$(NEWSGRP)\"

# Order is important here
INSCOMPRESS=
COMPRESS= compress

VFORK=-Dvfork=fork

IBMFLAGS = -M2lt8 -F 8000
CFLAGS = ${DEBUG} $(IBMFLAGS) -DUSG -Dindex=strchr -Drindex=strrchr -DDBM -DXENIXLOCK ${SCCSID} ${VFORK}
LFLAGS = ${DEBUG} $(IBMFLAGS)
LIBS = -ldbm -lx
LINTFLAGS = ${DEFS}

TERMLIB = -ltermlib
FIXACTIVE =
| Scotty                     |  Adapt - Enjoy - Survive    |
| ihnp4!killer!ozdaltx!sysop |  "Ad Venerem Securiorem"    |