[news.admin] Header spelling

frank@zen.UUCP (Frank Wales) (12/18/87)

In article <1034@maynard.BSW.COM> campbell@maynard.UUCP (Larry Campbell) writes:
>In article <3622@hoptoad.uucp> sunny@hoptoad.UUCP (Sunny Kirsten) writes:
><>My dictionary shows that superCedes and superSedes are aliases for
><>each other.
>
>You should get a new dictionary.  There is no `c' in supersede.

Is it significant that the only dictionary I own which *does* accept
both spellings is American (Websters)?  All my others are English, and
only list 'supersede'.

><>             Since this is typical of english, it will be typical
><>of those who speak english.  In acknowledgment of actual usage,
><>the software ought to accept BOTH spellings.

If this is likely to be done, could the software *please* accept
"Organisation:" too?  Huh?  People?

>If you mean it's typical that English speakers don't know how to spell
>their own language, yes, this is true, but it is also unfortunate and
>not be encouraged.  (Apology to British readers -- I suspect most of the
>violence to English is done by Americans.)

If poor spelling were the only problem, I'd live with it; it's poor English
generally that annoys me.

Frank Wales, Company Speller,         [frank@zen.uucp<->mcvax!zen.co.uk!frank]
Zengrange Ltd., Greenfield Rd., Leeds, ENGLAND, LS9 8DB. (+44) 532 489048 x220

chapman@eris.BERKELEY.EDU (Brent Chapman) (01/02/88)

In article <796@zen.UUCP> frank@zen.UUCP (Frank Wales) writes:
>If this is likely to be done, could the software *please* accept
>"Organisation:" too?  Huh?  People?

I don't think the News software looks at "Organization:", so you can
spell it however you like.  There are a certain set of header fields
that the software is interested (including "Supersedes:" or "Supercedes:";
now I've forgotten which one is right..); all the rest (including
"Organization:") are simply ignored and passed along.

-Brent
--
Brent Chapman					Capital Market Technology, Inc.
Senior Programmer/Analyst			1995 University Ave., Suite 390

jbuck@epimass.EPI.COM (Joe Buck) (01/04/88)

In article <6430@jade.BERKELEY.EDU> chapman@eris.BERKELEY.EDU (Brent Chapman) writes:
>I don't think the News software looks at "Organization:", so you can
>spell it however you like.  There are a certain set of header fields
>that the software is interested (including "Supersedes:" or "Supercedes:";
>now I've forgotten which one is right..); all the rest (including
>"Organization:") are simply ignored and passed along.

Not quite.  With "inews -h", if there is an "Organisation:"  header
an "Organization:"  header will be added as well.  This is how rn
(through Pnews) invokes inews.  And rn will call the "Organisation"
header an unknown header, so if you've asked rn not to show unknown
headers it won't be displayed.

Because of the way "known headers" are handled in the code, though
(the part after the colon is saved away in a structure and then
there's a printf to put "Organization:"  on the display), it wouldn't
be difficult to have the user interface display and accept British
spellings while the actual articles still contain the American
versions.

--
- Joe Buck  {uunet,ucbvax,sun,decwrl,<smart-site>}!epimass.epi.com!jbuck
	    Old internet mailers: jbuck%epimass.epi.com@uunet.uu.net

Argue for your limitations and you get to keep them.   -- Richard Bach