[news.admin] Returned mail with comp.binaries.ib

creps@silver.bacs.indiana.edu (12/30/87)

Newsgroups: news.admin
Subject: Getting returned mail when posting to comp.binaries.ibm.pc

   I did my best trying to figure out whether this is the right newsgroup
to post this, so no flames if it's not.
   Every time I post something to comp.binaries.ibm.pc, it seems to be
getting posted OK (other sites report receiving it), but a few days later
I get a mail message telling me "returned mail." This message includes
the file I posted. It may have something to do with the moderation change
in the group, but I can't be sure.
   Below is the header information from one of these returned mail messages,
which all are coming from the same site.

-	-	-	-	-	-	-	-	-
Steve Creps on the VAX 8650 running Ultrix 2.0-1 at Indiana University.
	creps@silver.bacs.indiana.edu

>From mcvax!cwi.nl!MAILER-DAEMON@uunet.UU.NET Tue Dec 29 17:20:04 1987
>Date: Tue, 29 Dec 87 23:07:54 +0100
>From: mcvax!cwi.nl!MAILER-DAEMON@uunet.UU.NET (Mail Delivery Subsystem)
>Subject: Returned mail: User unknown
>To: silver.bacs.indiana.edu!creps@cs.vu.nl

(I've deleted the actual message)

raj@spl1.UUCP (Robert Alan Johnson) (12/31/87)

In article <34000001@silver> creps@silver.bacs.indiana.edu writes:
>   I did my best trying to figure out whether this is the right newsgroup
>to post this, so no flames if it's not.
>   Every time I post something to comp.binaries.ibm.pc, it seems to be
>getting posted OK (other sites report receiving it), but a few days later
>I get a mail message telling me "returned mail." This message includes
>the file I posted. It may have something to do with the moderation change
>in the group, but I can't be sure.

The problem here is that your system is probably sending a copy to the
"moderator" as picked up  from your "moderators" file, and it is being
mailed to the wrong place.  The new moderator of comp.binaries.ibm.pc
is Harry Skelton at email address

	...{ihnp4,ddsw1,ll1!ll1a}!spl1!bear or
	                          bear@spl1

spl1 is on the latest  u.usa.il.1 map.

You should update your moderators file to reflect this new address.

billw@killer.UUCP (Bill Wisner) (01/02/88)

So, someone finally gets around to telling us that there's a new moderator --
and the system administrator at that? Grump, grump. Some administrative types
don't read comp.binaries.ibm.pc, people..
--
Bill Wisner / {cbosgd,codas,ihnp4}!killer!billw / billw@oberon.LCS.MIT.EDU
If all the world's a stage, I want to operate the trap door.

news@entire.xerox.com (Usenet News Administrator) (01/04/88)

In article <34000001@silver>, creps@silver.bacs.indiana.edu writes:
>    Every time I post something to comp.binaries.ibm.pc, it seems to be
> getting posted OK (other sites report receiving it), but a few days later
> I get a mail message telling me "returned mail." This message includes
> the file I posted. It may have something to do with the moderation change
> in the group, but I can't be sure.
>    Below is the header information from one of these returned mail messages,
> which all are coming from the same site.

    I have seen this problem before, with 2.11 sites down stream of some 2.10.3.
I also suspect that the same thing could occur with 2.11 sites with not up to
date active files.  The posting site does not know that the group is moderated
and then sends the article out.  When it reaches a site that knows about the
moderation that sites mails the article to the moderator according to it's
mailpaths file.  This will occur at all sites knowing about the moderation.
A couple of checks are probably needed.  Make sure that your site knows about
the moderation on the group, and that the mailpaths file is valid.  Also the
sites that see the "unapproved" article, the "news" administrator should get
nodification of the mail sent, needs to make sure that thier mailpath file
is valid.

--
John A. Gallant                 UUCP:  {..}!rochester!rocksanne!entire!news
Defacto Usenet News Administrator

    Get your facts first,
	and then you can distort them as much as you please.
    Mark Twain