[news.admin] Distribution

In article <4418@mnetor.UUCP>, lazer@mnetor.UUCP (Lazer Danzinger) writes:
#> 	There have been apparently a number of postings in scj, which
#> 	have not managed successfully to make their way up to the
#> 	frosty lands of Canada.
#> 	I deduce this from the fact that I occasionally see responses
#> 	to these postings, without ever having seen the original article.
#> 	Please, when posting articles to this news group, specify a
#> 	distribution that will facilitate your article's journey outside
#> 	of the usa. (Probably a distribution of "na" [North America], will
#> 	ensure propagation at least to our frozen wastelands--readers in
#> 	other countries may prefer an even broader distribution.)
#> 	Until such time that the "free trade" proposals are ratified, this
#> 	should probably do the trick :-)=.
#> 	Thank you.

My dear Lubavitch friend:

	Rest assured that you are not the only one suffering from netnews
anomalies on soc.culture.jewish.  I am seeing a similar effect here in
sunny, warm Chicago.  Several times, in fact, it has been an article that you
have flamed, or where someone has quoted you, and I never see the original.
This might be due to intermediate sites dropping articles when the news load
gets too great and/or the outgoing connections are temporarily out of com-
mission, and expire (or an administrative uustat -k) comes into play before an
article can ever be sent back out.  As for the netnews software, a followup
here will always go out with the same distribution that it had coming in if
the user does not deliberately change it in the header, and most U.S. sites
seem to have similar software to ours, i.e., the plain-vanilla UNIX netnews.
So, "usa" distribution will remain restricted to "usa" and will not become
expanded to "na" or "world" of its own volition upon a followup.  Also, the
default distribution I get here when I make a fresh post to s.c.j. is "world."
User laziness being what it is, I wouldn't expect many users to restrict this
unless a site administrative fiat has imposed a narrower restriction.

	What this boils down to is that what you (and I) are seeing probably
shouldn't be blamed on "Distribution:" problems until there is more tangible
evidence.  I have taken the liberty of cross-posting this to news.admin and
news.misc in hopes of getting some more knowledgeable opinions than mine as
to why this is happening.
--
|------------Dan Levy------------|  Path: ..!{akgua,homxb,ihnp4,ltuxa,mvuxa,
|         an Engihacker @        |  	<most AT&T machines>}!ttrdc!ttrda!levy
| AT&T Computer Systems Division |  Disclaimer?  Huh?  What disclaimer???
|--------Skokie, Illinois--------|

lwv@n8emr.UUCP (Larry W. Virden) (01/19/88)

I am seeing the same thing here in columbus OH.  I see few postings in the
comp.sys.masscomp group, yet the ones that I do see are often replys to messages
that never reach here.  What is interesting is that there are other groups
(comp.sys.mac, comp.sys.ibm.pc, rec.arts.startrek, ...) which surely must all
be getting thru, since I am overwhelmed by articles if I dont read all of them
every day.  Since this seldom happens, I am often faced with "You have 528 new
articles" like msgs...
--
Larry W. Virden	 75046,606 (CIS)
674 Falls Place, Reynoldsburg, OH 43068 (614) 864-8817

mason@tmsoft.UUCP (Dave Mason) (01/20/88)

In article <2100@ttrdc.UUCP> levy@ttrdc.UUCP (Daniel R. Levy) writes:
>In article <4418@mnetor.UUCP>, lazer@mnetor.UUCP (Lazer Danzinger) writes:
>#> 	There have been apparently a number of postings in scj, which
>#> 	have not managed successfully to make their way up to the
>#> 	frosty lands of Canada.
>	Rest assured that you are not the only one suffering from netnews
>anomalies on soc.culture.jewish.  I am seeing a similar effect here in
>sunny, warm Chicago.

Unfortunately not every site carries every group.  I don't know if
what I'm about to say applies to scj, but it must at least be
perceived as so (or it's a case of anti-Semitism 1/2 :-).

Many of the high volume soc, talk (and maybe rec) groups are not
carried by the backbone.  This means that there are large parts of the
net which don't get them.  Let's not get into value judgements here,
it costs money, and some can't justify it on these groups.

The solution is (as at least one local site (lsuc) has done) to bring
in your special interest newsgroups from other interested sites.
Advertise in some appropriate group ?news.groups?news.admin? that you
are interested in moving e.g. *.jewish.* long distance, and from the
(or not many) will complain about moving these groups around over
local calls... it's the long distance that hurts, so you should be
able to get reasonable net coverage.
	../Dave

lazer@mnetor.UUCP (Lazer Danzinger) (01/22/88)

In article <2100@ttrdc.UUCP> levy@ttrdc.UUCP (Daniel R. Levy) writes:

>	Rest assured that you are not the only one suffering from netnews
>anomalies on soc.culture.jewish.  I am seeing a similar effect here in
>sunny, warm Chicago. ...
>
>	What this boils down to is that what you (and I) are seeing probably
>shouldn't be blamed on "Distribution:" problems until there is more tangible
>evidence.  I have taken the liberty of cross-posting this to news.admin and
>news.misc in hopes of getting some more knowledgeable opinions than mine as
>to why this is happening.

	I guess you were right, Daniel. Only this morning we received
	some pretty old articles on sjc, that were dated TWO weeks earlier.
	Somehow, the responses arrived about a week prior to the original
	articles.

	Must be a bottleneck somewhere in the propogation, i guess.

Lazer Danzinger		|
lazer@mnetor.UUCP	| "Not learning, but doing is the essential thing."
(416)475-8980 		|				Avot 1:17
Computer X--A Motorola New Enterprises Company